Old version of Google Search?

1. thorahird

thorahird Well-Known Member

I updated to Jelly Bean recently and I must say I'm not a big fan of the new search screen. Does anyone know if there's a way of getting the version from Gingerbread back?

This new version is quite slow to start up whereas the old one was virtually instant. And because results opened in the browser instead of in the Search app, I could open as many results in different tabs as I wanted, whereas now I can only open one at a time before going back to the Search results screen. I don't use Google Now so I'm not bothered about that.

The old version also used to remember my search history locally without enabling Web History, but now I have to enable it to see my previous searches. And it doesn't even remember all of my previous searches!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

What device are you using?

... Thom
  3. thorahird

I'm on a Galaxy Ace 2. I've asked in that forum but no ideas there.

I've tried googling to find an answer but not much comes up (googling things like 'gingerbread, search, google, old style, android, jelly bean' etc etc brings up all sorts of results - none of which are very specific!)

This makes me think it's the same actual app, but GB and JB just handle it differently (I've no idea if this is correct, it just seems that way!). Anyway, thanks for any help.
  4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Well-Known Member

Have you tried uninstalling updates?

Now that apps and OS have been so clearly separated, I would have thought that would put the version back to whatever initially came with the phone.

Of course, the Play Store would nag you for ever more to upgrade, but I find you learn to ignore these things ;)
  5. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

I placed a shortcut of the browser's Google search web page on my phone's home screen :)
    Google Search I've set for search only internal on the phone.

Harry
  6. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

Yeah, I just tap open the browser and search from the omnibar (I use Chrome) instead.
  7. thorahird

Hi, yeah, I tried uninstalling updates but it's still the same. Maybe it changed when I updated to JB. I guess I'll have to go with the search link, which isn't a bad alternative really. Thanks everyone.