Oldest Email In The World

Last Updated:

1. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I just got the oldest email in the world. I just received a hotmail email from ebay dated 12/21/1969. I didn't even know ebay was around back then :)

Funny thing is that it has this date on my Droid but the date and time on the web is correct

Advertisement
  2. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Well-Known Member

If the year was 2012, that would have been really strange.

3. NickRo

NickRo Active Member

That's strange that you had that happen too. Last week I was in Jamaica for my honeymoon, and obviously I couldn't use the phone part, but I was able to use the wifi at the resort on my phone to send emails and look up random things on the internet. It was definitely nicer than having to take a laptop with! Anyways, one day my phone said it was December 31, 1969 when I turned it on, and I thought something got screwed up. It changed back a little while later. Maybe the same thing happened to you, and you just received an email during that time.

Or........ maybe our droids are also capable of time travel? Just another thing Droid Does?!

4. Thornfullessrose

Thornfullessrose Well-Known Member

Weird... I've had 4 un-deletable sms that showed up once everyday with that same exact date except the day was 31! The only way I could delete them was to delete all my texts which sorta upset me. Also it didn't say who sent it, it said anonymous! I was like "who sent me an anonymous text on new years eve of 1969? I didn't even have a Droid! I didn't have a cellphone! No one had cellphones! Texting didn't exist! I wasn't even alive!" lol :)

5. tom108

tom108 Well-Known Member

6. Funintegras

Funintegras Active Member

Probably the server got reset before it sent the e-mail, Once i posted on Facebook after my computers bios got reset and the date and time was 00:30 Dec 31 1988, and it showed on the post that it was posted at that date and time.

But, You should archive the e-mail and try to aution it off at e-bay.

7. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

that is like the default date. I have seen that exact date in other place in the Droid - like in the drop down notification bar off to the right is the date next to each item, I have seen it there before when the phone was acting funky

8. android2010

android2010 Active Member

That has "virus" written all over it.

9. billd

billd Well-Known Member

UNIX/Linux time begins on midnight, January 1, 1970 GMT and is stored as a count of the seconds since that time. That's still December 31, 1969 in the U.S. depending upon time zone. Most significant email servers run on UNIX or Linux. Time/dates like this frequently show up due to an uninitialized time value of zero somewhere.

Are you sure it was 21 and not 31 or was that a typo and you meant 31?

There actually were some messaging systems in the 1960's but they were primarily for users of the same system (think big computers with many users on remote terminals). Proper inter-system emails really began with ARPANET in the late 1960's and early 1970's though it didn't really "take off" until around 1980 or so.

Raise your hand if you used to run a UUCP email node or gateway!

Damn. I'm old.

CureMS likes this.
  10. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I doubt that very much.