Oleophobic coating strength?

Last Updated:

1. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey experts. This past weekend I was cleaning something with chlorine and accidentally let a big drop of it land in the middle of the phone screen. Long story short, I could not see to it until I was done with my cleaning project. By then the splash on the screen dried up and became whitish. I tried to rub it off, it was leaving residue, so I used 90% alcohol to clean the screen. The screen came out spotless, but now I feel it is getting more fingerprints than usual and they no longer come off after a quick easy wipe with my shirt sleeve - they require some rigorous rubbing now.
    Did I destroy the oleophobic coating?

Advertisement
  2. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

What documentation have you seen indicating the screen has this coating? The only one I ever saw advertising this was the iPhone 3GS.

3. getDange

getDange Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I remember reading somewhere about it. However my phone was getting fingerprints easily from the beginning so I figured that what I was reading was misinformation. But ever since I treated my screen to some deep cleansing facial, the screen is really a fingerprint magnet. Do not know if it is the coating or not, but now i have to rub the screen off like crazy in order to remove fingerprints, while before it would just take a gentle swipe of some cloth.
    I believe there was definitely SOME coating on the screen.

4. alphadog00

alphadog00 Well-Known Member

You could be right, but I just haven't seen anything called out anywhere. I thought maybe you had.