• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OMG go upgrade your voice search NAO!

Really? I just was able to install it and I have the Froyo 2.2 update.

He is talking ROM, which means he has a custom ROM. Its why I havent messed with rooting yet because all of the roms are 2.1 kernels with older versions of Android core apps on them half of the time. I would love a complete copy of our current rom but with root unlocked so I can disable sense, install the stock dialer and delete the sprintware.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
I just want to make it clear -- voice command is the only thing WinMo did better than Android. I'm only a little bitchy about it because I thought the update would fix some things but it's still basically broken.

But I would never, ever go back to Windows for mobile. This is a minor inconvenience really, I'm just venting.

Right there with you Cobravision. That's the ONLY function on WinMO that I've found to be better than Android...Well, that and having administrative access (e.g. root) without having to do anything special.

I don't care how much Microsoft has worked on their new OS, I don't think there's anything that can convince me to go back.

Upvote 0
He is talking ROM, which means he has a custom ROM. Its why I havent messed with rooting yet because all of the roms are 2.1 kernels with older versions of Android core apps on them half of the time. I would love a complete copy of our current rom but with root unlocked so I can disable sense, install the stock dialer and delete the sprintware.

I see. My bad. I just saw ROM and I'm so used to WinMO that I just think of it as the upgraded OS, not in Android terms, which is somewhat different.

Upvote 0
I would test it out for you, but I can't get it to recognize any of my contacts. As a matter of fact, when I asked it to dial one of my contacts for the 20th time, instead of dialing my contact, it did a Google search on the name and dialed some random person with the same name without even prompting me. So it understood me fine but did the most wholly illogical thing and reached outside of my contacts to dial a random person. All of this is moot since it dials automatically without any confirmation. If this program does not ask you for confirmation by voice, it is fail. It doesn't -- it is FAIL.

Also, if you have poor reception, the search won't work since it's server based.

WinMo voice command = win. Android voice search = FAIL.

Reinstall Pandora. There's an update then it'll work. It's pretty cool. I cant ge it to recognize my contacts though.

Upvote 0
Set alarm is not working for me. The new voice search app says that I need to download a new desk clock app, but when I follow the link the marketplace says the app is not found.

Anyone run into similar problems.

Found this by clicking on the go to website.

The clock app update is currently unavailable. Our team is actively working on a solution so that the 'set alarm' voice action can be used. Thanks so much for your patience.

Upvote 0
My Nexus One came with it installed (part of the 2.2 update).
I can get it to do everything except open and start a text message.
If text is open - great. If not goes to the web.

One nice thing is I have several contacts that are global and it had no issue recognizing the names.

One note: it likes to dial the mobile contact number unless you specify otherwise.

Sweet!!!

Upvote 0
Having some of the same problems here. I can't input an email, text, note, play music, set alarm. I'm from singapore, so is this a region exclusive thing again?

On my Nexus One with the new voice search installed I get four actions, the rest of the demonstrated commands just result in a google search for the phrase. I'm in the UK not the US, I wonder if they've done the US-only thing again.

Same thing. I'm in singapore

Upvote 0
Am I missing something here? Because I've been able to do this on my moment since I got 2.1?? (March I think?)

Watch the video. There are LOTs of new (mostly compound) commands that have been added.

I can't wait until they add the support for setting the alarm. That's one of the primary things I wanted when I saw the new list of items that were going to be available with the update.

Now if only I could get it to play artists/albums/songs from my MP3 music list as opposed to trying to launch Last.FM to find it. I also am having a lot of browser launching for things that don't really need the browser. I'm sure they'll work the bugs out soon enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones