• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OMG, not another task killer thread!

E140

Lurker
Jun 4, 2010
Ok, I get that some of you are strongly convinced that task killers are of the devil. But the simple fact is this. When I got my Evo I was told to download ATK by the rep at Sprint. I put the widget on my home screen and used it like a dope feind. And maybe I was self medicating, but my battery life sucked, and using it made my battery life suck less.

Then, along came froyo, ATK stopped working, I read all the forums and got rid of ATK. Now my battery is worse than its ever been. I want to be able to look my apps and have them remain dead until I say so because its MY phone. That being said...are there ANY task killers that work with froyo?

On some less powerful phones, yes task killers are neccesary. Unless it's for a occasional use. I use a Droid Eris running 2.2, I use ATK because it's simpler and a lot faster. People always say that Android has a built in feature to do that. They never say how hard it is to get to when your phones running slower than a snail.

Upvote 0
Ok, I get that some of you are strongly convinced that task killers are of the devil.
They're not of the devil. The real problem with them is that they only address the symptom and not the actual problem (misbehaving apps). That and they're frequently misused by newbies who end up causing themselves more problems. They're certainly not the way to deal with battery life issues. Check your usage and adjust accordingly.

When I got my Evo I was told to download ATK by the rep at Sprint.
Verizon reps do the same thing. Don't blindly follow what the reps tell you.

Upvote 0
I am actually ok with misbehaving apps, as long as I can kill them. That's why they put the little red "X" at the top of your Internet Explorer Screen, that, and so that when you're finished using it you can CLOSE it. What I'm not ok with is apps that I have NEVER used and NEVER will use running in the background on my phone. I'm sure NASCAR paid Sprint a GAZILLION dollars to put their app on my phone and make it undeletable. But I have no interest in Nascar, so the only reason it could possibly have for running in the background of my phone is to gayher information. But, should the mood ever strike me to see what car went around in 8 million circles fastest I should be able to open the Nascar app and when I'm done, close it. Thats all I want.

But, I'm not trying to debate the Task Killer issue, I'm willing to put an unnecessary app that might do more harm than good on my phone as long as it does what I said before, so I ask again....are there any Task Killers that will kill and keep killed background apps that works with Froyo?

Upvote 0
But, I'm not trying to debate the Task Killer issue, I'm willing to put an unnecessary app that might do more harm than good on my phone as long as it does what I said before, so I ask again....are there any Task Killers that will kill and keep killed background apps that works with Froyo?

My understanding is that Froyo cripple Task Killers because Google was concerned that they were causing more harm than good. You shouldn't need them with well programmed apps. I used one and don't use one now. I haven't noticed any significant change in my battery life.

Upvote 0
ok, well forget task killers, how can I get my battery life better. My battery has never been great. I wouldn't say I'm a light user. I do a lot with my phone, but I'm no power user either. I work 10 hour days. At its best my phone would last me 12 hours before the battery indicator would turn red. Now, I'm lucky to get half that. It seems like anything I do including browse this site is taxing on the battery. I love my phone, but 6 hours of battery life will not cut it.

Upvote 0
Calibrate the way your phone is reading the battery. This is the method HTC advises, and it seems to work on their phones quite well:

1. Plug your phone in while it's on. Let it charge for eight hours.
2. Turn it off. Plug it back in for an hour.
3. Turn it on. Charge again for an hour.

Apparently this should double your battery life, and several Desire owners have reported that it works, so give it a shot.

Upvote 0
Download the app" spare parts", and after you have reached a low battery level check the battery usage and see how the power was used. If your phone is sleeping, what apps ate the most partial wake time, etc

I've gone from having a 6 hour battery to having a 14 hour day yesterday and I use my phone heavily. What you need to do is find out how the battery is being used, what apps or widgets or settings are draining it, and adjust accordingly. Android is great at managing memory and tasks but an app programmed a certain way will just run and drain your battery hard all day. Maybe your phone isn't sleeping after a timeout period? Spare parts will tell you all of this.

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: riiiiiight. Dude, I'm not trying to sound like as big a jerk as I sound like, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. On a phone as sophisticated as this where calibrating anything is at the swipe of a finger to resort to something that archaic and time consuming would be laughable. I'm sure that just has some type of placebo effect, or you want me to have my phone plugged in at work ALL day so when I get home I can say WOW my battery sure did last a while today! But, again....no offense

Upvote 0
:rolleyes: riiiiiight. Dude, I'm not trying to sound like as big a jerk as I sound like, but that's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. On a phone as sophisticated as this where calibrating anything is at the swipe of a finger to resort to something that archaic and time consuming would be laughable. I'm sure that just has some type of placebo effect, or you want me to have my phone plugged in at work ALL day so when I get home I can say WOW my battery sure did last a while today! But, again....no offense

If you are going to ask for advice on an Internet forum you will receive advice that you agree with and that which you do not. You seem to have ignored much of the advice offered you with regards to task killers and battery management (found in the EVO forums), which is your prerogative. There is absolutely no reason at all to be rude to those offering you advice, however. If you don't want the advice then simply do not follow it. Please take a moment to read the forum's rules and zero tolerance policy.

I offer these threads as advice to the questions you have asked.

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/97329-battery-life-good-bad-ugly.html
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g/85554-task-killers-must-read-new-android-users.html
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/99223-possible-battery-fix-htc.html
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones