• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OMG! Please help me.......

i just got new droid phone. its my first smart phone. i have no experience with linux, unless u count that i touched an iphone once. im soooo lost. every one here is useing tech terms i dont understand. i have an lg apex. if any one feels pity for a noob i would really like some help with the folowing.
what is rooting?
why do i need to root?
whats is flashing the rom?
idk what droid im using, froyo, vanilla, gingerbread? these r all greek to me.
whats a kernel?
i can go on and on.
is there some basic tutorial somewhere on web i can find?
thanks for reading this far and hope to hear from someone soon.

i just got new droid phone. its my first smart phone. i have no experience with linux, unless u count that i touched an iphone once. im soooo lost. every one here is useing tech terms i dont understand. i have an lg apex. if any one feels pity for a noob i would really like some help with the folowing.
what is rooting?
why do i need to root?
whats is flashing the rom?
idk what droid im using, froyo, vanilla, gingerbread? these r all greek to me.
whats a kernel?
i can go on and on.
thanks for reading this far and hope to hear from someone soon.

1st touching an iphone isn't helping you with linux. Iphone is ios but anyways.

Rooting is gaining access to everything on your phone. Example: if your phone were a computer right now you would be a guest. When you root you become the administrator.

You may want to root eventually but with limited knowledge imo I would wait do some research in the droid all things root section.

You didn't say what droid you have so I can help you with what you are running..eclair, froyo, etc. if you post your device I'll be happy to fill you in.

Back to another example for roms and kernels. Think of a car, the.body is like the rom and the engine is like the kernel. As for flashing thats how the rom and kernel are put on your phone.

Edit I see that you have lg apex. I'm pretty sure its android 2.1 aka eclair

Reactions: dudleesmuk
Upvote 0
welcome...

there is a lot of reading to do...before you want to attempt any of those new terms.

You should read a lot in the subforum for you phone... everything in the rooting world is phone model specific.... if using the wrong items for your phone... may seriously F it up!

Upvote 0
ty forf all the help peeps. the links were to some good answers. i think i am running droid 2.1 eclair. how do i do manual upgrade to froyo? and i see no posts for lg apex in rooting forum. i guess i need to wait till u smart guys hack it. ill keep readin but its over whelming me at this point. I LOVE MY DROID THOUGH!!!!!

Upvote 0
ty forf all the help peeps. the links were to some good answers. i think i am running droid 2.1 eclair. how do i do manual upgrade to froyo? and i see no posts for lg apex in rooting forum. i guess i need to wait till u smart guys hack it. ill keep readin but its over whelming me at this point. I LOVE MY DROID THOUGH!!!!!

You can't do a manual upgrade for froyo. It has to be an ota or leaked to be hacked. From what I see there is nothing pending for your device.

Upvote 0
i was told by us cellular that the lg apex will be upgraded to froyo in march. thanks again to every one for the advice and help. :D

when the upgrade happens, what new abilities will my os have? will i be ableto move apps to the sd card?

Yes with froyo you can move apps to sd card and have flash. There are other positives but those are 2 biggies :D

Upvote 0
why do i need to root?
You don't. Or, at least, you haven't presented us with a compelling reason to root. Not everyone needs or wants to root.

Don't overlook the value of frequenting forum sites such as this one. None of what I have learned about Android (former device was a Blackberry) came from tutorials or documentation.

Upvote 0
1st touching an iphone isn't helping you with linux. Iphone is ios but anyways.

Rooting is gaining access to everything on your phone. Example: if your phone were a computer right now you would be a guest. When you root you become the administrator.

You may want to root eventually but with limited knowledge imo I would wait do some research in the droid all things root section.

You didn't say what droid you have so I can help you with what you are running..eclair, froyo, etc. if you post your device I'll be happy to fill you in.

Back to another example for roms and kernels. Think of a car, the.body is like the rom and the engine is like the kernel. As for flashing thats how the rom and kernel are put on your phone.

Edit I see that you have lg apex. I'm pretty sure its android 2.1 aka eclair

Damn bro that was very well put. I was gonna send him to xda to learn the hard way. (hard way meaning taking more time to read stuff lol). Where were you a few years ago when I rooted my first android (g1 of course). Is good to see these noobs get an answer that's legit because we all were noobs at some point.
Bravo

Reactions: davidnmegan6907
Upvote 0

One thing about android you should always remember. There is a way to do everything you want on that phone but you just have to find it. It pains me when I se how many people have an android and are so happy with it but only know that it makes calls and text message in a really cool way. Dude it does so much more. Keep reading and word of caution...PREPARE EACH STEP BEFORE ROOTING IN ADVANCE ...the last thing you want is to be stuck in a boot loop trying to get help
Enjoy

Upvote 0
Id recomend ignoring that root even exists for a few months until you get a good feel for your phone.

Worth repeating.

I was you 3 months ago. I knew nothing about this stuff. My advice is basically what others have said, but I'm going to give it anyways so I can feel smart.

Just start using your phone. Get comfortable with it. Figure out what it does and doesn't do. This alone will take a while, because they are amazingly capable stock out of the box.

As you do this you will learn what is more important to you, and how you use your phone. When (and if) you find you need more, start looking at different apps. This too will take a while, because there is so much outside support.

Then, and only then, if you feel you need more, start learning about Rooting. It is a huge step if you are a beginner, or not familiar with programming. It is not without risks either. You may likely never need to worry about it.

After 3 months I have a killer phone that does everything I need, and more, and I have no desire to root (well, I have a Desire to root, but no desire to root it).

Upvote 0
OK Guys. thanks for the advice. after reading all the replies and reading around the forum, i see that when updated to froyo i will be able to do the most important thing which is to move apps to sd.
i have noticed that every one says my phone can do so much more than call and text. well, what can my phone do? i know the basics, calls, text, email, web. i want to use it for work more than anything. im a maintenance supervisor for apartment complex. i want this phone to be a mobile office. so far im doin that well but if it can b better i would love that. also every 1 else in company has bberries. i want to show em up wit android! ty again to all 4 helpin.

Upvote 0
Worth repeating.

I was you 3 months ago. I knew nothing about this stuff. My advice is basically what others have said, but I'm going to give it anyways so I can feel smart.

Just start using your phone. Get comfortable with it. Figure out what it does and doesn't do. This alone will take a while, because they are amazingly capable stock out of the box.

As you do this you will learn what is more important to you, and how you use your phone. When (and if) you find you need more, start looking at different apps. This too will take a while, because there is so much outside support.

Then, and only then, if you feel you need more, start learning about Rooting. It is a huge step if you are a beginner, or not familiar with programming. It is not without risks either. You may likely never need to worry about it.

After 3 months I have a killer phone that does everything I need, and more, and I have no desire to root (well, I have a Desire to root, but no desire to root it).

I rooted my first android 3 days after getting it lol.. I rooted my EVO and EPIC the day they walked through the door. Maybe I'm just a really big nerd lol..:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones