OMG, someone help me!

Last Updated:

1. Addicted

Addicted Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I want to root, I'm pretty tech savvy... it's my job but this is confusing man! I've read enough to make my brain melt inside my skull and poor out my ears. is there a simple step by step with downloads that work to do this? I don't want/need all the "fluff" just give me 1, 2, 3 etc and the files to do it and I'll be set. thanks... and i apologize for the n00biness.

Advertisement
  2. andrizoid

andrizoid Well-Known Member

thats what that sticky is for. none of that stuff is "fluff"

3. MJL

MJL Well-Known Member

LOL yeah. Stickies are your friend, if you have been reading all that much then you probably should have figured that out.

4. cableguynoe

cableguynoe Well-Known Member

It will be confusing no matter how much you read.
    You just have to start the precess... then the instructions will start to make sense.

5. saintdice

saintdice Member

I'm not tech savvy at all and I did it with no problem. I've also flashed a couple of ROMs, partitioned my sd card, loaded a recovery img, etc.

Sticky topic tutorials are your friend. Read them more than once before you do it, go slowly and don't skip any steps.

You too can pretend to know what you're doing just like me!

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

6. namu1107

namu1107 Well-Known Member

It's actually NOT THAT bad... I don't know the FIRST thing about phones or rooting, and I got it done. Besides, if you have read all the forums, you have read all the problems, and it will be easier to find the solution :)

7. Addicted

I probably do just need to dive in a do it but for some reason, the links to the files I need take me to some sites that I needs to pay for a DL that has nothing to do with the rooting

8. Murphy

Murphy Well-Known Member

Don't do the paid downloads. Just do the free ones. Some sites make you wait a certain amount of time between free downloads but, they are free.

9. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

I ran into that, and it nearly derailed my rooting experience altogether.

I cleared all cookies from my browser, and then went back to the generic link provided in the instructions, and was able to successfully download the file I needed, but yes, it was rather anger provoking at first.

There are other mirrors around.. unfortunately most have spam at the ready for those seeking popular files.

The process itself, though, is a great experience as long as it is taken slowly and carefully; it is not to be rushed through, otherwise small things can crop up that will make you wonder what's wrong.

- keep the device in debug mode when connected via usb

- after installing the sdk equipment, carefully make your selections as recommended in the instructions (I did not download the 1.5 stuff as my phone had the 2.1 OTA), the suggestion to download everything was the only thing I did not follow because it is presented as non-essential in the instructions

- look for when to have the device set to "charge only" rather than disc mode

- type carefully in the command prompt!

- be patient when the device is booting

Those are just a few things that come to mind.. there are dozens of suggestions and tips around here. ;)

10. Addicted

ok, I've searched and can't find the instructions to instructions to install the SDK stuff... am I missing something?

11. Addicted

oh yeah, I just looked mines on 2.1 too

12. dt_20016

dt_20016 New Member

this is my firt post but ive been around for a month or so.
    you must do alot of reading and searching.
    ive rooted my phone and have it up fully on cricket and ive never looked into it until the lat 30 days

13. Addicted

one thing... should I be doing all the downloading from mt phone?

14. Frisco

No.

Use the computer you're installing the sdk files on.

15. BigBeefy

BigBeefy Well-Known Member

I love how "tech savvy" people say they read everything, have searched this and that and still dont know what to do.
    Start at step one. Do it, move to step two. Do it, move to step three...continue until you are rooted. You dont have to know what it all means, just follow the steps. If you have read everything, it should all make perfect sense.

16. MrDangerous

MrDangerous Well-Known Member

I write a lot of Knowledge Base articles at my job. It drives me crazy when people comment on them and say "Your KB didn't work" and I go back and check and they just randomly skipped 3 or 4 things.

All I got to say, is we may never know who that person is... But surely someone dumber than you has rooted their phone :)

17. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

make sure to check the md5 ckeck sum for the root file PB00IMG you don't want to install leak by accident.

18. Frisco

Folks who claim to be tech savvy are mostly referring to the difference between how much they know now as opposed to before reading around about a given subject, such as rooting.

They may or may not be as smart about the new stuff as others with experience, but they are on the tech savvy train for a nice long ride, if they're encouraged rather than being made to feel dumb for asking questions of those who've been on the train for a while longer.

GhotiPhish3 likes this.
  19. WineJones

WineJones Well-Known Member

Amen to that ^^ !

20. danacorbin

danacorbin Active Member

My thoughts exactly. This was the hardest computer related thing I have done, but I did it! I read different forums ALL DAY and downloaded a lot of software, some of which was unneeded. The people on these forums are super nice, but they do expect you to do your own work which is totally understandable. Aside from coming to your house and sitting with you as you do it,this is the next best thing. If they tell you what to do and you don't understand what they are saying- go to Google first for some insight. Thanks everyone for helping me earn a lil geek cred! I learned a lot in the process. :) Woo hoo! Rooted!