• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OMG WHY!!! Scratched screen!!!

Gerbacio_PR

Mar 18, 2010
Rock Hill SC
i had my iphone for a 2 month vacation to Puerto Rico ...lived in the beach with me and never got a scratch.

that being said first beach trip to Folly in Charleston, South Carolina for my birthday!!! well the evo is not as strong as i thougt!!

my screen is all scratched...i wanna keep it and stay with sprint since is so much better than apple/iphone but idk what to do i called best buy and they said cosmetic...is calling sprint gonna be any different??

has anyone had any similar situatio??? canscreen can even be replaced?

I'm a beach volleyball player, and I can tell people, sand can be a HARSH mistress. Putting your phone in your pocket along with keys and doing jumping jacks is no problem, but sand? It's a killer.

I know too little, too late, but there are some AWESOME screen protectors out there that can take a ridiculous beating. Expensive, but worth it.

Onto the topic, how badly is your screen scratched? Unusable, or just cosmetically bad? If you can still use it, just be patient a little while longer for screen replacement kits to start showing up on Ebay. They'll be there eventually, and at a price you can afford.

Upvote 0
So you can afford a 2 month vacation but you are letting a few extra dollars per month decide which phone you should keep?

Look up a scratch test of the EVO on youtube posted by a user on these forums. He took a razor blade to the screen. What were you doing to this phone at the beach?

The volleyball player is right. Sand is like tiny sharp pebbles. Enough pressure and you can scratch any glass. Even your precious iphone you felt so compelled to compare to the weak screened EVO.

Upvote 0
Threads like this one make me glad I use a screen protector. Why even RISK a scratch on a device where the primary mode of interaction is through the screen? "Scratch resistant" does not equal "scratch proof!"

To the OP, that really sucks. Try Steinheil, Boxwave, or Clarivue screen protectors when you get your phone fixed... There are whole threads dedicated to screen protection in this forum to help you decide which type is best for you.

Upvote 0
So you can afford a 2 month vacation but you are letting a few extra dollars per month decide which phone you should keep?

Look up a scratch test of the EVO on youtube posted by a user on these forums. He took a razor blade to the screen. What were you doing to this phone at the beach?

The volleyball player is right. Sand is like tiny sharp pebbles. Enough pressure and you can scratch any glass. Even your precious iphone you felt so compelled to compare to the weak screened EVO.

it was more like i moved back home to Puerto Rico ...but my american girlfriend got pregnant and couldnt bare the heat (was august)

so it wasnt really a vacation morel ike a job search trying to go back home!

my precious iphone like you called it was built like a tank....the truth is the truth!

i love the Evo thou its a overall way better phone in almost all possible things...hence why i said i wanted to keep it....if i knew it was gonna be that fragile a screen protector would have been a first priority

Zameus im game where can i get a screen???

and Thebiles thats gonna be hard when it dosnt have light leakeage! lol

thanks to everyone else for the replies so far

Upvote 0
N
it was more like i moved back home to Puerto Rico ...but my american girlfriend got pregnant and couldnt bare the heat (was august)

so it wasnt really a vacation morel ike a job search trying to go back home!

my precious iphone like you called it was built like a tank....the truth is the truth!

i love the Evo thou its a overall way better phone in almost all possible things...hence why i said i wanted to keep it....if i knew it was gonna be that fragile a screen protector would have been a first priority

Zameus im game where can i get a screen???

and Thebiles thats gonna

dosnt have light leakeage! lol

thanks to everyone else for the replies so far
H

AmericaN girlfiend?
Off topic, im a rican myself. PR is still in america right? Yes it is.
No wonder you jacked your screen.

Can you stop making the rest of us look bad , By being all racist.

thanks

Upvote 0

Actually, the glass they use for touchscreens is pretty much the same hardness amongst all the manufacturers. The iphone might be built like a tank, but the glass is still glass. Assuming you exposed both phones to the same conditions, you probably got lucky with the iphone and/or got unlucky with the evo.

And yeah, sand is very, very abrasive. Most of the silicates in sand are stronger than glass, and they will readily scratch the glass. If you're planning to take your phone to the beach, I'd recommend ANY full screen cover to protect the glass. And I'd also get a good bumper to prevent sand from getting into your ports or into the cracks around the buttons.

Upvote 0
Actually, the glass they use for touchscreens is pretty much the same hardness amongst all the manufacturers. The iphone might be built like a tank, but the glass is still glass. Assuming you exposed both phones to the same conditions, you probably got lucky with the iphone and/or got unlucky with the evo.

And yeah, sand is very, very abrasive. Most of the silicates in sand are stronger than glass, and they will readily scratch the glass. If you're planning to take your phone to the beach, I'd recommend ANY full screen cover to protect the glass. And I'd also get a good bumper to prevent sand from getting into your ports or into the cracks around the buttons.

Some people refuse to take responsibility for their actions.
You scratched a screen that is so hard that it survived many attempt to scratch it on purpose. Yet its not your fault. It's HTC's fault for making such a weak piece of glass. Stop blaming others for what you did.
You scratched it. It's your fault not HTC.

Upvote 0
N
H

AmericaN girlfiend?
Off topic, im a rican myself. PR is still in america right? Yes it is.
No wonder you jacked your screen.

Can you stop making the rest of us look bad , By being all racist.

thanks

ok i dont wanna come off the wrong way but

WTF are u talking about dude chill the f down...Puerto Rico is not mainland and we are a comonwealth "captain America" yes we are part but we are not USA mainland.. same rules and everything but some may get confused

and is there a problem with me having a American Girlfriend last time i checked dating people of other races is ok!!

and for your information i have been on USA for 2 and a half years...born and raised in Puerto Rico...What are you talking about being racist son!

Upvote 0
You scratched a screen that is so hard that it survived many attempt to scratch it on purpose. Yet its not your fault. It's HTC's fault for making such a weak piece of glass. Stop blaming others for what you did.

You mean to say something that was caused by my own action isn't a manufacturing defect? :)

Upvote 0

when did i said it wasnt my fault??? i took it to the beach!!! i concur is 100% my fault not HTC or Sprint or yours

im saying "IN MY EXPERIENCE" the screen is not as strong! what does that have to do with anything...really do you work for HTC

if you read my previous posts i have NOTHING BUT PRAISE for Sprint and The EVO...best carrier i have ever had and best phone ihave ever owned

i had a bad experience and people freak out like if im calling out their mothers or something..... im stating facts Iphone was on the sand for 2 months without scratches Evo took one trip and has some. I still wouldnt trade my Evo for 10 Iphones period. I love my Evo!!

chill down man i was looking for some advice not saying the Evo or any of your relatives was a piece of shit...dont take it personal

Upvote 0
when did i said it wasnt my fault??? i took it to the beach!!! i concur is 100% my fault not HTC or Sprint or yours

im saying "IN MY EXPERIENCE" the screen is not as strong! what does that have to do with anything...really do you work for HTC

if you read my previous posts i have NOTHING BUT PRAISE for Sprint and The EVO...best carrier i have ever had and best phone ihave ever owned

i had a bad experience and people freak out like if im calling out their mothers or something..... im stating facts Iphone was on the sand for 2 months without scratches Evo took one trip and has some. I still wouldnt trade my Evo for 10 Iphones period. I love my Evo!!

chill down man i was looking for some advice not saying the Evo or any of your relatives was a piece of shit...dont take it personal

If the screen was made of diamond, then yeah, you should expect it not to scratch, but expecting glass not to scratch without a protector is somewhat unrealistic.

What can you do? You can either pay to get it repaired and I'm sure you learned your lesson, so you'll use a screen protector. OR, you can just put a screen protector on the one you have. Chances are that after you put one on anyway, you won't notice that the scratch is there...how big is the scratch? Can you post a pic?

Upvote 0
This is why I tell EVERYONE that if scratches on your touchscreen are going to be an issue when you get them, start out with a screen protector. I will not even set the settings on a new phone until I get a screen protector on it. Until they start making screens from diamonds, they will ALL scratch eventually. It's just a matter of time.

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0

Yess preech on brother. People on here are very defensive about there $199.00 device

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones