• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help On desk, phone rings for a second then goes silent

craighwk

Android Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2009
Denver, CO
I got my Inc about 2 months ago and at first I thought this was just a fluke, but it's happening all the time. Basically, if my phone is sitting flat on my desk and I get a call, the phone will ring for about a second before going silent. It still vibrates and still wants me to answer the call, but the ringtones have stop.

I even experienced this today driving in to work. The phone was sitting on my leg when I got a call. Same problem. Rang for a second and then silent.

If I am holding it or it's in my pocket, it seems to ring without any problems.

Has anyone experienced this or has any ideas what it may be? That "silent ring on pickup" or whatever option in the settings is not selected and I don't believe I have any sort of app installed that controls the volume of the phone.

Well, I just tested this, and my phone still rang when facing down.

Once I flipped it to face up, then flipped it to face down again, the ringer stops. So does the vibrate. Turning it to face down is basically like hitting a call ignore button, so you don't have to hear the phone ring out loud until the voicemail picks up.

Upvote 0
There is a silence ring option on the phone. When the phone starts to ring and you pick it up the phone automatically turns the ringer volume down because it knows that you picked it up and hence the ringer volume will dim down.

Mine has also done this where the phone is laying on my desk at work and instead of ringing until I actually pick the phone up it will give one short ring and just silence even though I haven't even touched the phone yet.

I haven't tried it yet but I bet actually turning off that feature would eliminate this issue where the phone only gives one quick ring and silences itself. Good luck

Upvote 0
Yah I saw that setting and it's currently disabled. Apparently there's a second "feature" to the phone that allows you to turn a phone over face down and shut the ringer off. Unfortunately it's effecting mine by shutting the ringer off if the phone is already face down.

There doesn't seem to be any way to turn this off. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones