On my thrid Epic

Last Updated:

1. gme109

gme109 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My first one had a defective mic. This was evident when using Voice Recorder to leave memos, feedback from people on the other end of the call, and leaving test messages on my home voice mail. Other than that, the first phone worked flawlessly. GPS was fast and spot on. It was obvious that the fist phone had a defective mic when I swapped it out for the second one. My voice had a fuller sound, and was much clearer. But the GPS was buggy as hell, slow and the compass worked sporadically. I'm still evaluating the third one, which I got last night, and haven't had time to test the GPS yet. One thing that seems buggy on it though, is the inconsistent response from the bottom buttons. They all have the same responsiveness, except the menu button on the left, which needs to be hit over and over again to work. What's obvious though, is that Samsung's Quality control is less than ideal. It also sheds light on why some were happy with their GPS, while others claimed it just didn't work. So if you're happy with the phone overall, but you're experiencing problems with the GPS or lousy responsiveness from the bottom buttons, you may want to swap it out for another one. Not sure how many times I want keep doing this though, the third strike rule may stand.

Advertisement
  2. vincey2kr1

vincey2kr1 Member

Did you at least see what build dates you had? Could help narrow it down

3. gme109

The first on was 8-2010 for the phone and battery, the second one I forgot to check. The third one is 8-2010 for phone and battery.

4. gt33

gt33 Well-Known Member

sometimes the haptic feedback on my back and search buttons stops working, and then other times the search button won't work at all. Still persists after a hard reset, I think it's a software thing though

5. peaxie

peaxie Member

I think I might be going to the Sprint store for my second Epic, there seems to be a problem with GPS accuracy and the speaker. I was going to wait a little longer in hopes of getting a later build.

Question: What do you say when exchanging it? Are they pretty open to giving you a new one if the current one has a problem?

I don't want to spend half an hour waiting on them to test my current unit, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks

6. gme109

Sometimes they want you to go to a Sprint store that has tech support on staff, not all of them do. My first return was at a Sprint store that didn't have any tech support, and they wanted to send me elsewhere. I then called Sprint and they said I could return it to any Sprint store, so I went back in the store and told them that. They then returned. Second time I called Sprint tech support, and after they walked me through a few things on the phone, and said go return it, its not working right. I relayed this to the staff at the retail store, and they had no problem returning it. I would call Sprints tech support and let them trouble shoot the phone, if you can't get it working right at that time, they'll probably tell you to return it.

7. Bperry

Bperry Well-Known Member

How did you get a replacement? Sprint is telling me I have to ship them back the phone in a yellow bag and be without the Epic for 3-5 business day before they can ship out another one.

8. gme109

Perhaps because I'm a new customer, I'm not sure. I would think even existing customers would get a 30 day exchange at retail stores on a new phone.

9. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

Maybe you want to go to the GPS thread where you said your GPS was working fine and revise that so we have a data point. Several peopel who thought their GPS was workign and posted it was workign fine are now finding it isn't

10. TheAndroidWorks

TheAndroidWorks Well-Known Member

Looks like Samsung has sourced some really cheap transducers for these phones! This is not a unique complaint.