• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I would start by reading up to get a handle on terminology...if you haven't already.

Start with the Motorola Droid all things root guide. This will offer several different ways to root but is a good place to start.

Going by what you asked for, the following would seem to fit your needs. The Unlockr using superoneclick method.

Good luck. Once rooted, I suggest you immediately download Rom Manager, click on "Flash clockworkmod recovery", and make an initial backup that I would keep indefinitely. Always, always make backups before making changes to a different ROM/kernel.

Feel free to ask questions and ask for help. This forum is a great resource.

Reactions: bleedGreen
Upvote 0
I would start by reading up to get a handle on terminology...if you haven't already.

Start with the Motorola Droid all things root guide. This will offer several different ways to root but is a good place to start.

Going by what you asked for, the following would seem to fit your needs. The Unlockr using superoneclick method.

Good luck. Once rooted, I suggest you immediately download Rom Manager, click on "Flash clockworkmod recovery", and make an initial backup that I would keep indefinitely. Always, always make backups before making changes to a different ROM/kernel.

Feel free to ask questions and ask for help. This forum is a great resource.

Are there links to rom/kernals together?
Or, probably do a rom(that would be appearance of phone?) and kernal( the smarts and speed behind the phone?) Individually?

Upvote 0
Are there links to rom/kernals together?
Or, probably do a rom(that would be appearance of phone?) and kernal( the smarts and speed behind the phone?) Individually?

Many/most ROM's come with a custom kernel of some sort included.

ROM's may change the appearance but some give a more custom/vanilla feel than others. Some ROM's allow customization of all sorts of different things such as fonts, lockscreen, notifications, other GUI stuff, and lots of other stuff. There are many ROM's to choose from for this phone. AND HERE.

Kernels change some of the underlying processes controlling the phone...mainly allowing for overclocking of the processor, but other stuff too, like tethering.

Themes are generally catered to a specific ROM only, though the most popular themes are usually available for many/most ROM's.

I would've BUT, those threads I think never get amount of views or reads as the main question threads.

I disagree. I rarely look at the main forum anymore and I guess that quite a few who are rooted and willing to answer questions may not pay much attention to them either.

So, have you rooted?

Reactions: bleedGreen
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones