On screen (soft?!) home, menu and back buttons

Last Updated:

1. nicksdarkroom

nicksdarkroom Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

Does anyone know if its possible to have on screen buttons on the Desire for Home, Menu and Back as I'm (perhaps unnecessarily) worried about wearing the buttons out so would rather be using virtual buttons on screen (even if that means losing a little of the display area).

Thanks

Nick

Advertisement
    William Bonfiglio likes this.
  2. CarsnGadgets

CarsnGadgets Well-Known Member

you wont wear the buttons out, and if you did, you could claim on warranty... the buttons are there to be used, otherwise it isnt fit for purpose.

I dont know any way to do that on screen though.

3. gibbs1984

gibbs1984 Well-Known Member

The buttons would have been tested for this so they shouldn't wear out.

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

How do you mean wear them out anyway? They look like they are made of metal to me

5. delinear

delinear Well-Known Member

I thought the same thing - I know on previous phones the colour has worn off buttons making it hard to read them (my trusty old N95, I can only use now because I'm so familiar with what the buttons said before I wore them down), but the Desire buttons look and feel like laser-cut aluminium to me, if that's the case (and someone correct me if it's not) you might be able to wear that down after a few hundred years of continuous use, but you should be okay for a while :)

6. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

The buttons are metal ;)

7. nicksdarkroom

I was thinking more about the switch mechanism beneath the pressable buttons, and yes I know its a little over the top! Sooner or later this mechanism must wear out because its a mechanical part. Just wondering really if there's something I can download to use on extent instead

8. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I think you're worrying needlessly.

9. c_man

c_man Well-Known Member

As already said, they will have been tested, and if they fail, phone can be classed as not fit for purpose / eligible for warranty claim.

On the other hand, it would be cool to be able to invoke the same functions the Home/Menu/Back/Search buttons achieve by way of screen gestures!! [e.g. Neonode N2 / Palm Pre - I've owned both...]

10. nicksdarkroom

I know, that's what everyone says! I guess its fuelled by the fact that I have an ipod touch too and after 11 months just through wear and tear the power button on top stopped working because the microswitch beneath the button broke, luckily they replaced it. My worry is I use the buttons on my desire a lot more so the microswitches beneath them may wear out.

11. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

They'll be fine :p By the time they wear out you'll be on another phone anyway!

12. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

That or you should have gotten a Nexus, where you can worry about the trackball wearing out instead. :)

13. nicksdarkroom

Oh my god, I wouldnt have been able to sleep at night!! ;)

14. silvarbullet1

silvarbullet1 Member

OK, I have a genuine reason for needing this: PLEASE HELP!!!
    After having my Desire knocked to the floor this week, the back & search buttons no longer work!!!

Search is not an issue but there are some REAL problems trying to use my phone now without a back button. For some things, there are ways around it (mostly go back to home screen, then re-open the app) however some apps and widgets remember the last state so once you open a menu you are stuck there FOREVER! (At least until you kill the app using an appkiller).

So, I'd really love it if someone knows of a way to use soft keys or something as a 'back' button.

Thanks!

15. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I found an app called soft keys. You need root though. You could run it on temp root if you like, using visionary+ but you would need to apply temp root after every reboot.

I tested the app and it certainly seems to do what you need, though I found it slightly annoying

16. William Bonfiglio

William Bonfiglio New Member

I have seen the replies to the question of "back menu buttons on screen" but have not seen anything useful here, because you haven't given a location for the software fix. I bought a case that is waterproof and almost bulletproof, but the buttons that are thick rubber do not align well making access to the buttons very difficult. I can not use the buttons, but I am interested in finding a solution of placing the buttons on screen. Now does anyone have a location, for the software and please be specific, because I am new at this.

17. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

The app that was named would have been in the Play Store back when that post was made - more than 3 years ago. If you search for "soft keys" in the Play Store you will find a few apps offering such functionality, though whether any still offer the 4 keys of the old Desire (device discussed here) I don't know, since 3 keys has been the norm for a few years now.