1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Onboard compiler

Last Updated:

1. jfilmerman

jfilmerman New Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, the greatest application of all time to me would be the ability to program strait on the htc dream or whatever other device. A compiler that would allow you to test and run your own applications without having to use another computer or anything. Does anyone know if this is being worked on or will be on Android 1.0? If not, someone needs to get on it right away.

Advertisement
  2. WhoFlungPoo

WhoFlungPoo Member

I highly doubt it. I mean honestly, who wants to program with their thumbs on a cell phone??

3. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

He would.

;)

4. WhoFlungPoo

WhoFlungPoo Member

OK, sorry. Who ELSE wants to program like that? lol - I surely don't. I like my big keyboard and dual monitors.

5. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

Well then clearly that App wouldn't be for you.

:p

I'd like it myself. I love my dual monitors and keyboard too - but hey, sometimes I'm not sitting at home, and find myself bored.

You know, car ride, bus ride, on the plane... at the park on a nice sunny day, etc.

;)

But aside from the fact I'd have to use my thumbs, which admittedly would be tough enough to do - I again find myself plagued with the same thought - all these great Apps will do WHAT to your battery life, I wonder?

I guess in this case it would depend what you were emulating. How much data you're pushing/pulling, etc.

That's a serious concern for me with Android Apps period. I FLY though my Voyager battery if I do much with its Apps.

6. sorceror

sorceror Well-Known Member

Plenty of previous smartphones and PDAs have had onboard development environments. For example, on my old Treo, I had Scheme and Forth interpreters, and even a limited C compiler. People even wrote a few real apps with those things, too. For my part, it's nice to be able to try out ideas and play around with algorithms no matter where you are.

Looks like a few people are working on such things (e.g. JRuby, SISC), but nothing ready for prime time yet. If anyone knows of anything more developed, I'd love to hear about it...

7. MissileMax

MissileMax New Member

A Java IDE on-board would be the crown jewel for hobbyist developers with 'other' real jobs. I was one of those developers that did a lot of work on PalmOS using Quartus forth (using graffiti!). Having a Java IDE to test and develop, on-board, would be Awesome!

8. Stinky Stinky

Stinky Stinky Well-Known Member

Wow a complete dev enviroment in 1....Good idea! (Hats off!) :)

Dunno where or if you can even find it though.... you wud need to do some work to get it running on arm... and others now like qualcomm....and via... but very good idea though... to sad i cudn't find 1... :( but there is 1 for palm os... DAMN....and is in C. I am not too fimiliar with C

OnBoard C | Download OnBoard C software for free at SourceForge.net

9. DarkGoodWIN

DarkGoodWIN New Member

I use JavaIDEDroid for onboard programming. For makes programming faster and easy I use DroidDevelop all programms for android.