Once rooted, what can I do?

1. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

Once I root the phone with Motochopper, what can I do? I know I'll have root but then what can I do? I want to see if I can load the third party Faux kernel for the phone. Do I need to load a recovery to do that? Or can I use the dd command to write the kernel image to the boot partition? If I do that, will I have to use Triangle Away?

Advertisement
  2. tdevaughn

tdevaughn Well-Known Member Developer

remove any and all bloat... create backups...install custom roms... install custom kernels
    install mods/themes
  3. trparky

I decided to just dive right on in, head first. Rooted the device, that was great. Then I loaded CWM which was easy. Then I loaded Faux's kernel and that sent me into a panic when at first my device didn't want to boot. I was like freaking out man! But then I did a battery pull and let it boot again, this time it booted properly.

Best thing of this whole endeavor is that the nasty lag beast is gone. This thing is smooth, super smooth. I turned the animations back on just for testing and wow, just wow. Animations are smooth, no lag when switching apps. This is great!
  4. trparky

Great... now it says "Custom" whenever I start my phone. Why is that? If I have to go back to stock, say via Odin, will that "Custom" message on the boot screen go away? Will I have to use Triangle Away at some point?