Onda V972?

Last Updated:

1. pengyou

pengyou Well-Known Member

I have perused the forum and found little info on this, only a general request from 2 months ago. Any new experiences with this? I was originally going to buy a nexus 7 but when I saw this Onda with a 9.7" 32 GB, 2 gb memory, quad core and I had to stop and think. Any suggestions?

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Think the Ondas can be OK, they're a known manufacturer. One odd and somewhat disturbing issue that has come up with Onda devices, apparently some of them have Chinese government censoring in them. They couldn't browse Facebook or Youtube at all. Sure we had a poster who'd bought an Onda tablet in Shanghai, but couldn't get Facebook etc, even though he was using it in the United Kingodom.

The tablet's hosts file had been filled with sites deemed undersirable by the Beijing government. The fix was to root and edit the hosts file. They often do this with PCs in the PRC, but apparently it's been done with some tablets as well, specifically Onda.

If you're looking at between a Google Nexus and a Chinese Onda, I'd get the Nexus any time. With the Nexus, you've got Android as Google intended, fully supported and updates as well. With the Onda, well I don't quite know, pot luck probably.
  3. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Well-Known Member

Get the Nexus 7.

I've got a tablet with similar hardware to the Onda V972 (Nextway F9X, 2048*1536 9.7" display, Allwinner A31, PowerVR SGX544MP2, 2GB RAM) and while it works more or less okay, the A31 chipset is still too new and the bugs haven't all been ironed out yet. No sources available so that means no CM10, either.

The CPU is a Cortex A7 1GHz quad-core and isn't quite as fast as Tegra 3. It is, however, faster in terms of GPU, I believe. App compatibility already tends to be a crapshoot with off-brand devices and the unusual (for Android) 4:3 2048*1536 resolution just tends to exacerbate the problem. Meanwhile, the Nexus 7, given its popularity and direct software support from Google, quite possibly has the best app compatibility among Android tablets.