• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root One Click Lag Fix + Low space

Andrewdroid

Sep 28, 2010
Gotham
Any ideas on how to free up space without deleting apps? I really like One Click Lag Fix, I don't wanna get rid of it just for space reasons.

I was just looking using Root Explorer and there are some massive files in /data/fota. What are they? I have 3 files, fota.status, (Size 36) and fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2 both size 62914560. That seems like a lot, I'm guessing it's measured in bytes so that'd be 60 megabytes or so, so 120 total. Are they safe to remove... seems like the results from the over-the-air update.

Considering that 2.2 is not released yet and the only build floating around is an unfinished buggy beta/development build with numerous issues found already, I don't really see that as a reasonable solution to recommend to people.

Personally, I don't recommend any lagfix due to the known issues and additional risks. Yes more speed is nice but at what cost? It's sad seeing every newbie and grandma on here being told to "just install a lagfix!" like it's some benign, safe and supported thing everyone does. People are hosing their phones even with Voodoo.

/data/fota does indeed have OTA updates in it but I'm not certain of the ramifications of manually deleting files from there.

Upvote 0
What are the known issues and additional risks with the lag fixes? The official build of 2.2 for Captivate I believe was leaked just the other day Android 2.2 (Froyo) for Samsung Captivate leaked online|Free PC Guides and isn't the beta anymore but I'm definitely planning on waiting for that one since it seems like that's a matter of a month or week or two. I'll let the guinea pigs test that one instead. Seems like it's missing the android keyboard and some other things.

The One Click Lag Fix tho to have been around for a seriously long time and has been through revision and people rate it highly. Seems like the benchmark score is way off but it definitely seems to make a speed difference to me anyway.

Upvote 0
What are the known issues and additional risks with the lag fixes?

None uninstall cleanly or 100%.

Some utilities do not play well with the ext2/3/4 filesystem and won't work.

Some add considerable complexity and virtualization layers to accessing the filesystem, increasing the opportunity for something to go wrong (random errors and bricked phones occur with a much, much higher-frequency with those who have applied a "lag fix")

The ones (like VooDoo) that replace the filesystem natively without layers do so by installing an alternate, hacked kernel. This kernel is based upon older code that the stock kernel and they keep finding quirks and things that don't work.

Having a lagfix pretty much guarantees that any system update won't install (if you're lucky... brick your phone if you're unlucky).

The only people touting the virtues of lagfixes are the lucky ones who haven't been burned by it yet. It's like saying Russian Roulette is a safe game because 5 out of 6 people survive. Do you listen to the survivors, or analyze the reality of what you're thinking about doing?

Upvote 0
Any ideas on how to free up space without deleting apps? I really like One Click Lag Fix, I don't wanna get rid of it just for space reasons.

I was just looking using Root Explorer and there are some massive files in /data/fota. What are they? I have 3 files, fota.status, (Size 36) and fota_delta_dp1 and fota_delta_dp2 both size 62914560. That seems like a lot, I'm guessing it's measured in bytes so that'd be 60 megabytes or so, so 120 total. Are they safe to remove... seems like the results from the over-the-air update.

Same thing happend to me. I was installing the lag fix 2.2 and cancelled in the middle because the amount i put stored was too high. I went on root explorer data and ext2. That file was huge. Deleted it and went ahead and installed the one click lag fix. Now I am good to go.

Upvote 0
I have froyo on my captivate and LOVE being able to play videos in the web page rather than opening up media player. SO NICE. I see absolutely no problems with 2.2 release and have been running for a couple of days. Very worth the time (whole 2 minutes) it takes to flash. And very very idiot proof, lol. Thankfully.

Upvote 0

//////////

My issue is closer to yours.

After installing the Ryanza's One Click Lag Fix (OCLF) software, my Captivate's internal memory dropped from 1.55 GB to 550 MB. I did notice some enhancements in the speed, but the sharp drop in internal memory may adversely affect some programs. The questions are?
- Can i maintain OCLF but recover my internal memories?
- Is there a potential for catastrophic failure?
- What is the best course of action - uninstall or just enjoy as is with OCLF?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones