• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root One Click Root For The Desire?

Is the "update" file called "update.zip"? If so then I think that's the custom recovery you flashed during rooting. The latest backup using ROM Manager and Titanium will be dated, so if you ever need them choose the one with the latest date.

Titanium Backup and Current ROM backup will be on SD card, so they will be copying to your laptop now :)

Yep, that's what it's called.

I can find Titanium Backup on my SD card, but I can't find Current ROM or ROM Manager?

Upvote 0
I assume you're using your current SD card? Not using a new SD?

If using the existing card you have in your phone: ROM Manager > partition SD card > Ext Size 512MB > Swap Size 0

Regarding the backups, don't worry if you can't see them. Titanium and ClockworkMod will find them when/if they are needed later.

I've done that and the phone has just rebooted.

Is there a way of knowing if it's worked? Or will I need to flash a ROM first?

Upvote 0
Cheers mate.

Am currently doing that now. Phone is just rebooting.

Was it really as easy as clicking "partition SD card" selecting 512MB and then Swap 0?!

Yes its that easy. of course you'll need to format your SD card to fat32, or you could do what I did. I just went into my phone settings > sd storage > unmount sd card > format sd card > remount > then run rom manager and do the partitioning.

Upvote 0
Yes its that easy. of course you'll need to format your SD card to fat32, or you could do what I did. I just went into my phone settings > sd storage > unmount sd card > format sd card > remount > then run rom manager and do the partitioning.

Will the card already be FAT 32 if it's the same card that was in the phone before? I know you need to format new cards.

Upvote 0
Will the card already be FAT 32 if it's the same card that was in the phone before? I know you need to format new cards.

It should, but I did it anyway to ensure a clean partition with less chance for hiccups.

After you format with my method you'll have to then flash the ROM (leedroid or teppics) with A2SD+ support before you can see the A2SD+ partition with quick system info.

Upvote 0
They're both sense and good stable ROMs, so its up to you if you really want a custom ROM. I just like stock - the reasoning for me was because I just think theres less chance for things to go wrong ;) but thats just my superstition.

Anything that goes further away from stock usually has a higher chance of having issues or conflicts.

Upvote 0
After following the guide in Dan France's guide, it seems I have done something wrong and it didn't work properly.

I downloading Quick System Info and it said information unavailable which apparently means something is wrong. :(

I shall now try using Dinaro's method.

Thaqt happened to me first time but I was trying to format a new card.

OK, have you got an SD card adapter or USB caddy so you can plug your SD in to your laptop?

Find it in Explorer, right click, Format, make sure it's set to FAT32 and that the Quick Format option is not ticked.

Reactions: zeegy
Upvote 0
Sorry if i'm a bit late with my replies, i'm building a railway bridge at the same time! ;)

The radio in my sig is the one that came with the official Orange OTA 2.2 update, it works really well with LeeDroid and a topic on XDA is giving it praise. I beleive you can flash the radio if you have issues after flashing the ROM, buit it's best to check the ROM dev's thread in XDA to look at radio compatibility.

Upvote 0
Is the "update" file called "update.zip"? If so then I think that's the custom recovery you flashed during rooting. The latest backup using ROM Manager and Titanium will be dated, so if you ever need them choose the one with the latest date.

Titanium Backup and Current ROM backup will be on SD card, so they will be copying to your laptop now :)

Update.zip is put there by Rom manager. It is clockworkmod, but its not the flashed one. Rom manager applies this to simulate true recovery

Upvote 0
I'm all over the place now. I'm currently formatting my SD card in a caddy in my laptop.

My phone is in bits in front of me, and the missus is home in about an hour! :D

I can't believe this has taken me most of the day! :D

I still haven't flashed a ROM! :D

I am useless! :D

I was foolishly under the impression that I could download a ROM and that would be that. Silly me!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones