one click root....nothing changed?

Last Updated:

1. hrez2kx

hrez2kx Member This Topic's Starter

So I followed the directions here in order to root: How to Root - Android Forums

I'm not really into customization, I just wanted to remove the verizon bloat. So after following the instructions and the program telling me I was successful, I gleefully attempted to delete my first bloatware app. However, there was no option to delete....

So, did I do something wrong? If I were to run the root again, would I risk bricking my phone?

edit: found a new application called "superuser", but I dont know what to do with it?
    edit2: do you delete things from a different place (ie not the standard user interface?)

Advertisement
  2. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah you'll need a few more program to remove/rename/delete etc. Superuser just means you're rooted [and if you're really cool its your avatar :rolleyes:]. Anyway, now you need some things like Root Explorer which is a paid app but generally acknowledged as the best one. If you wanna go the freebie route try Titanium Back Up and SuperManager [all in Market]. Back up the existing files before removing or renaming them. You can even delete so long as you have a copy of the apk somewhere like your sdcard just in case

3. makemehavefun

makemehavefun Well-Known Member

I'm just going to rename the bloatware. Same difference?

btw, just a heads up, not that you'd need it hrez2kx, but when you go to backup everything, don't be an idiot like me and try to manually back up every app one by one because you were too stupid to press the menu key and let Titanium "batch" backup everything for you. Man, I probably manually backed up almost a third of my apps before it hit me to check out the menu soft key.

I probably shouldn't have admitted that.

4. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Good tip. Live and Learn Im sure you arent the only one.

5. Jedii

Jedii Well-Known Member

LOL. I havent done that, but ive done many things like that and im always like "dude, why couldnt someone have warned me" lol

6. saps

saps Well-Known Member

Yeah its amazing how much we all learn after the fact

7. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

I've tried renaming City ID app with Root Explorer but the system says that it's read only. Does this mean that I'm not really rooted even though I seem to get "super user" access granted to root explorer when I open it. Maybe I missed something.

8. nitsuj17

nitsuj17 Well-Known Member

in root explorer by default its set to r/o to limit accidental mistakes. In the upper right corner you'll see Mount R/W in a grey. Click that, then try to rename cityid and others. Remember don't touch the google apps, it (probably) will screw with your market downloads.

MutantCheese likes this.
  9. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Well-Known Member

Thanks that worked