One contact becomes many? HTC? Japanese?Support

1. shanen

shanen Member

I've managed to find some people with similar problems, but my sample is still too small to be sure what is going on. Let me describe it, and maybe someone can solve it or other people can recognize it and help diagnose it?

My phone is an HTC Aria. The phone has its own contact list from HTC, and it also syncs to the contacts in Gmail. However, it seems to be breeding extra copies of many people. Sometimes two, often three copies, and in some cases even more.

I've been poking at it for a while, and so far I can't get a firm handle on it. My latest if not greatest theory is that the extra name fields in Japanese (for pronunciation information) are confusing the phone, so it can't recognize that a name is already there. Another symptom that seems to be related is that the order will sometimes get reversed. In Japanese the family name should always be first, but this phone is mixing them up. Perhaps it is also related to one of the many com.google.process.gapps problems?

If I could separate the contacts lists, I think that would help, though I feel that the best solution would probably be to turn off the HTC contacts and make them go away, if that is possible. Then I think the contacts could be handled more easily from a browser logged into Gmail.

Advertisement
  2. ninja_reject

ninja_reject Well-Known Member

I use "go contacts", free from the market, for my contacts. It has an option to merge contaccts, and just manages them better than the native htc contacts.
  3. olbriar

olbriar Moderator Moderator

I was going to suggest a contact app from the market as well. There are many good free ones to choose from.