one-handed Moment usage?Support

Last Updated:

1. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I have been considering getting the Moment. I was riding the ski lift yesterday, using my old Palm Centro with one hand so I could keep my glove on the other, and it made me wonder whether the Moment is possible to use well wih one hand. The slide-out keyboard seems naturally two-handed. Perhaps the on-screen keyboard in portrait mode is good enough?

(Sorry if this has been asked--a search via the mobile version of this forum did not turn it up.)

Advertisement
  2. dreze88

dreze88 Well-Known Member

It's really up to you. I do all the time, I use Shapewrite Beta to write stuff one handed all day long. It's really how the user handles the phone.

3. ColdStart

ColdStart Well-Known Member

I use the on-screen keyboard in portrait mode all the time with one hand. If you have large finger-tips, then you might have a problem from time to time hitting adjacent keys.

4. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

Same here. For long text messages, e-mails, and general web stuff I use the slide out. But for shorter stuff like texts, notes, and searches I use shapewriter 1-handed in portraitmode.

5. Othan1

Othan1 Well-Known Member

I do it sometimes as well. I have big hands so I end up using the edge of my thumb to type instead of the pad of the thumbtip. Sometimes hit the wrong character, but easy enough to use the backspace key.

6. caspertodd

caspertodd Well-Known Member

Have you looked into touchscreen friendly gloves or conductive thread (so that you can use your own gloves)? Just curious.

7. decalex

decalex Well-Known Member

For one-handed usage, I definitely recommend the Swype (soft) keyboard. I've been using it for a few weeks, and now use it more than the physical keyboard.
    just make sure you turn off Audible tones(?) in the settings (bug). I think it's still available if u search the marketplace.

8. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

It's actually not in the market anymore. I do have the .apk file FOR Swype, just saying. Message me if you want it, leave an e-mail or something for me to send it to. Make sure you send it in a PM, not a message on here.

9. jeffdlb

jeffdlb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the info. One step closer to getting the Moment. (Still worried about lack of good Mobile Database program for Android, but that's another story.)