One of the first droids released: Different keyboard

Last Updated:

1. jmhatz

jmhatz Member This Topic's Starter

My buddy that the works in verizon sales at one of the stores in my area got his droid mailed to him on Monday after release date (which is normal protocol if you work for verizon, you cannot buy it at the store on launch day). Anywayyyy, as you may assume he has held hundreds of droids since it has been released and every keyboard is the same except for his. He said he has yet to see a keyboard resemble what his feels like and he estimates holding around 250 droids so far.

The keys on my buddy's keyboard are super bubbly. They are raised up dramatically compared to the normal droid keyboard. It's incredible and I'm super surprised that if it was a purposeful design, WHY WAS IT REMOVED :confused:. It's incredibly easier to type with his keyboard vs mine. Like everyone elses keyboard, it's practically flat with very little distinction between keys. Each individual key on his is substantially raised, making it much easier to distinguish where you are located on the keyboard.

If I can get him to take a high res picture of it I'll try and post it...it's so substantial you can easily see the difference.

Advertisement
  2. may2700

may2700 Well-Known Member

i would love to see it

3. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Bump for curiosity's sake...

4. Droidn00b

Droidn00b Well-Known Member

I'd like to see it, too. The flat keys keep me from using the keyboard. I'm only sticking with it in case something goes wrong with the virtual keyboard although if that happens, the phone itself will more than likely be bricked.

5. holmgren

holmgren Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

comon now.

6. JustROLLIN

JustROLLIN Well-Known Member

To the OP's credit, there are pics floating around online of another user who has this mythical "bubbly" keyboard. If I come across the thread, I will definitely share. In the meantime, I can backup what he/she is saying to some degree. In this picture, the keys definitely had some sort of raised bubble-like appearance.

7. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

I've seen the pics you are referring to... the differences are so minute in my opinion. If you (not any user here) didn't like the keyboard, then why'd you buy the phone to begin with?

8. randomwyteboy

randomwyteboy Member

Stolen from another forum:
    Normal:
    [​IMG]
    "Raised"
    [​IMG]

9. travva

travva Well-Known Member

lollllll wow yeah, you can totally see the difference. TOTALLY.

10. UnsureSherlock

UnsureSherlock Well-Known Member

Actually it is pretty easy to see the difference, go see an optometrist about your eyes and a psychologist about your attitude.

Back on topic, it's strange that he got one like that, I kind of wish they kept that as the design.

11. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

see my keys don't feel flat. They have some curve to them. but I wouldn't consider it bubbly

12. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

reminds me of my old touch pro kb.

13. deftdrummer

deftdrummer Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I too have one of the bubbly keyboards! I couldn't really understand all this time why everyone was talking about how "flat" the keys were on the forums, but today I compared mine to a buddy's at work and also my roommate's. Definitely different! I like my curved keys immensely after fiddling with his for a bit.

14. xmr405o

xmr405o Well-Known Member

Well then you're a lucky mofo. haha:p
    Is your Droid a launch Droid?

15. deftdrummer

Here I hope these help. And yes mine is a launch day droid.

Attached Files:

16. Watashi

Watashi Well-Known Member

Anyone with a 'bubbly' keyboard want to post their build date?

It's a number under the battery something like 39/09 or 42/09 it's the WK/YR, I have a launch day droid and mine is not significantly bubbly and is a 41/09.

17. deftdrummer

42/09 for me.

18. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

hmm...well, i don't have that much curve on my keys and i wouldn't say its bubbly but they do have bumps to them. i can type fine on mine. they look flat when you look at them but they have a slight bump when you press on them. each key has a bump. not sure if that's what everyone is talking about.

19. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Those keyboards are definitely different then the majority of others, I would love to know how to get one like that. I can definitely type fine on mine but that would be a great improvement to the mostly flat keys. All of them have somewhat raised/curved keys but these ones are definitely superior.

20. ceruti82

ceruti82 Well-Known Member

wow, now that im looking at mine, and comparing it with the pics, i feel like mine is a hybrid of totally flat and bubbly.. i cant decipher which mine are... guess ill have to go into the vzw store to compare ;)

21. blue

blue Well-Known Member

i got mine the week before thanksgiving, and mine is a 41/09, but mine look flat. but i can feel a bit of a bump to it

22. CRPercodani

CRPercodani OFWGKTA VIP Member

Just so everyone knows, the majority of Droid's have a somewhat bumpy/curved keyboard. If you have one of the special bubbled keyboards you would EASILY notice it.

23. dB Zac

dB Zac Well-Known Member

Ya even on the "flat" keyboard there is a "bump" but the other keyboard is a lot more pronounced.

I got my 1st droid the 1st week they were out but then had to warranty it 2 weeks later. The 1st one was the bumpier keyboard and the 2nd one was the flat keyboard. It may be from practice but I can type faster on the new droid than I could on the old one.

It kinda looks like the flatter keys aren't really flatter but have more of a compound curve that cancels out at all 4 edges and the other is more of a one way curve

24. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member

39/09, not bubbly. I don't even know whether the bubbly "feature" would make that much of a difference in typing speed, but I would like to know why some phones have it and others don't. Very strange.

25. Xystence

Xystence Well-Known Member

My original droid was a 44/09, and had a raised keyboard. The exchange I did for mine was because of signal, which was resolved with the new one, but the new one has a really flat keyboard. When I had the first one I could not understand why everyone thought it was too flat because mine was not.

On a side note, I like the keyboard on my new phone a lot better because the "bubbly" one was actually incredible hard to press and gave my thumbs a good workout. The new flat one click keys really soft and is fast and nice to text on.