• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

One press voice dialing

DDave

Nov 17, 2009
My old Krazr phone had a button that I could push and say "Call JimBob". The phone would then reply, "Did you say Call JimBob".

I'd answer yes and the phone would call.

This is great when you are driving and dont want to take your eyes off the road. This is sorely missing from the droid.

Does anyone know if this can be addresses somehow?

My old Krazr phone had a button that I could push and say "Call JimBob". The phone would then reply, "Did you say Call JimBob".

This is great when you are driving and dont want to take your eyes off the road. This is sorely missing from the droid.

Have you tried the voice dialing app? You can place a shortcut to it on the Home screen.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've done that, and it is a big help, but in MY opinion, a simple button should be available to push, make voice commands and dial.

Maybe use the gold looking camera button for dual purposes. When not in camera mode, it can be used for voice dialing the phone. Wouldnt even have to power on the screen, but would unlock it for phone use should you need to interact with it.

Just a thought.

Upvote 0

Yep! It's even better on the Droid! You have "Voice Universal Search" on the Droid, which means that you can vocally search for anything - on your phone or web - with the Universal Search feature.

The one piece of the puzzle you're probably missing is this: The Search button on the lower right becomes a "Voice Universal Search" if you do a "long press" (you'll feel 2 buzzes from the haptic feedback), and then the Voice Universal Search will come up.

And, here's where the Droid is better: When the Voice Universal Search starts, you can say "Call JimBob Wilson on Mobile", and away you go. If the Droid can properly understand it (and, it almost always does for me), you won't even have to confirm your answer - it will dial straight away without needing your confirmation. So far, I have never seen the Droid miss-dial a requested number it has recognized ... I have only seen the Droid not recognize a few of my requests (or, I have made the wrong request, and the Droid followed my stoopid request to the letter! :rolleyes:)

Cheers!

Upvote 0
Hold your finger on an empty area in the Home screen and place a Direct Dial icon from your contacts; this places an icon with a picture of the person if you have it set up that way in your Google Contacts. My right Home screnn has several such frequently called numbers/persons. I wish the Droid had 5 Home screens, not only three...

Another (maybe preferred) simple way of one-press calling anybody on your Contact list is to press the Voice Search button on the Home screen and say "call johnny mobile"--and there you go! I presume this should also work when speaking the number.

Upvote 0
=The one piece of the puzzle you're probably missing is this: The Search button on the lower right becomes a "Voice Universal Search" if you do a "long press" (you'll feel 2 buzzes from the haptic feedback), and then the Voice Universal Search will come up.

And, here's where the Droid is better: When the Voice Universal Search starts, you can say "Call JimBob Wilson on Mobile", and away you go.

seconding this. i think it's what you're looking for, and it's a physical button, not a home shortcut.

Upvote 0
I agree w/the OP that for "eye's free" voice dialing a physical button is better...no need to look at the phone to see where on the screen you are pressing. At some point someone will write an app to take over the camera button - Handcent already does that for SMS if you want.

In the meantime, I'd strongly suggest getting the Droid car mount, or putting your droid in car mode manually if you use another mount or hold it in your hand.

Then you get huge buttons, and can tap the microphone icon and say "call" or "dial" and the person's name, etc., as noted above.

Even better, BT dialing support is supposedly coming in the Dec. 11th update...

Other options include Tap Dial, which allows you to set up space on one of your home screens where you can tap 1, 2, 3, 4, etc. times to dial a pre-set group of contacts. No need to look at the screen, just set your Droid to that home screen before you drive away. Need to dial - tap and it dials. But that is limited to a set of numbers you set up. Since most of us dial most often to a small set of numbers that's not too bad.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones