One thing I've notice with all custom ROMs

Last Updated:

1. tmette

tmette Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Every time I've had a custom ROM installed, whether it be Cyanogen, BB, or Ultimate Droid (what I'm currently using) the phone will reboot itself. Now, I've only noticed this when it's trying to load something sometimes it'll freeze, then just completely reboot. It NEVER does this on the stock Android OS, just custom ROMs. I'm not over-clocking or anything. Right now I'm running UD 8.0 and a chevy kernel. Every time I install a ROM I will Wipe Data and Cache. It's almost frustrating because the custom ROMs run faster/smoother than the regular 2.2 build, but I hate the little reboots every so often. Or sometimes I'll get "Network Error" when in the Market and I have to back out of the app and try again.

Any ideas? Kind of frustrating. I have yet to have a ROM to work flawlessly with no hiccups or errors. Does everyone have these kinds of little bugs every once in a while? Maybe I should try BB again? I didn't have it on for too long until I went to UD 8.

Advertisement
  2. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

you say your not overclocked, but you do use a custom kernel. so, it could be the kernel as much as the ROM. I run the most vanilla ROM there is, no themes. I also get, now and then, reboots and network errors. network errors can be just that.. errors, bad signal for a quick second, etc.

also, when tweaking our phones like we do, I think this is just the nature of the beast.

tmette likes this.
  3. tmette

tmette Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I think I'll try Bugless Beast out again. Pretty sure I only had that one installed for about half a day before I heard good things about UD.

4. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

no reboots on Liquids 1.6 or 1.7 with overclocked Slayher kernals..

what kind of temps are you getting before the reboots?

5. k00ey

k00ey Well-Known Member

What kind of Chevy kernel are you running? that sounds like an overheating problem.

I rooted my phone the 2nd week I got it and have been running custom roms ever since. I never get reboots, and only RARELY freezes when I'm usually trying to run too many things at the same time(multiple apps+web surfing, etc)

Try not using a custom kernel as someone else suggested and just go by what the custom rom comes with, if it still doesn't work well then try a kernel different from chevys, starting with a low clock speed, medium voltage

6. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Actually, that's probably not far off - but the overheating is a symptom, which causes the reboot. The actual cause, I am betting, is actually a program loading loop that hangs the CPU....

I am not sure if a lower CPU clock will actually alleviate this - the way I see it is if the program that is being loaded goes into a crazy loop, then it is going to be rather hard to pull it out of said loop. The reason I say this is that I have had this problem on speeds as low as 600 MHz - with higher clocks it just happens faster. I'd much rather the temp spike really quickly and the phone reboot in, say, 20-25 seconds rather than waiting 3 minutes, only for it to finally achieve the required thermal threshold and *then* reboot.

7. gallandof

gallandof Well-Known Member

I only got this issue when trying to run an ULV kernel my phone just didnt like the voltage. so there are a lot of different things that could cause it. Heat, voltage,speed, and potentially an error with the rom when it was installed.

best recomendation I could give would be to find a new rom, and install it from scratch. and not using a custom kernel see how that works. if you get no reboots then try a kernel see if you get reboots then

8. segdoh49

segdoh49 New Member

Every CPU is a little different. So you just have to keep trying to find the one that your cpu likes. I was getting the same rebooting running Chevys lv kernal and went to a P3droid lv 1.2Ghz and so far it has not rebooted. 'Trouble is always where you find it.'