• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root one touch root or path to root for DX GB?

I'm just theorizing here but don't you have a nandroid backup of what you had before you installed GB?

Couldn't you load that nandroid backup then download the rooted version of GB. You'll still have to re wipe and everything but it is less work then flashing a SBF then doing it all over again.

Upvote 0
No, he can't load the nandroid, because he doesn't have a rooted Gingerbread install so that he can load the bootstrapper. The stock recovery won't load a backup.

The only path to rooted Gingerbread right now comes from a rooted 2.3.340 install. That's it. And the only path to 2.3.340 from a non-rooted Gingerbread is using the SBF. Basically, without the SBF, you are completely stuck on the non-rooted Gingerbread install.

This isn't the first time - I believe the first leak of Froyo required a rooted Eclair install prior to upgrade in order to have rooted Froyo.

Upvote 0
1. If you're on the leaked non-rooted GB you MUST SBF back to 2.340...I repeat MUST...there is NO other way around it

2. There is currently no method of rooting Gingerbread on the X, you must flash the PRE-rooted Ginger zip

3. P3 HAS said that if you're currently rooted on GB that you should NOT take the official OTA update when it comes through because he thinks that he will be able to help us preserve root when it lands

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones