• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Online gamer debating on getting 3g modbile hot spot.

Poseidon126

Jul 25, 2010
Hey guys. Im a big online gamer when it comes to games such as call of duty and even world of warcraft. To be honest. My families internet ultimately sucks. So im wondering if this 3g mobile hotspot I discovered is a good choice for me to get so I can play my games online effectively. Money is no issue. I would just like some input on the effectiveness and speed of the mobile internet available for the x. Thank you in advance!

Hey guys. Im a big online gamer when it comes to games such as call of duty and even world of warcraft. To be honest. My families internet ultimately sucks. So im wondering if this 3g mobile hotspot I discovered is a good choice for me to get so I can play my games online effectively. Money is no issue. I would just like some input on the effectiveness and speed of the mobile internet available for the x. Thank you in advance!

For Warcraft and halo reach I know for a fact that it's perfect but cod matchmaking goes by ping so it takes forever to get a match then it lags bad but the other 2 are great

Upvote 0
Finally an answer =)

Yes, I noticed CoD is horrible, just got Black Ops and multiplayer is frustrating.

Now if I buy the 3g Mobile Hotspot so I can connect with these games, it says something along the lines of extra pay for certain things? Does this mean if I pay the 20$ a month or so plan for it, I still pay extra if I am online for WoW/Halo/CoD?

Upvote 0
Finally an answer =)

Yes, I noticed CoD is horrible, just got Black Ops and multiplayer is frustrating.

Now if I buy the 3g Mobile Hotspot so I can connect with these games, it says something along the lines of extra pay for certain things? Does this mean if I pay the 20$ a month or so plan for it, I still pay extra if I am online for WoW/Halo/CoD?

nope, it's just the $20/month flat fee. although, you only get 2GB of usage, with a $.05/MB overage. so, just monitor your usage.

yeah, wow doesnt require too high of speeds, but Games like Halo and CoD will be iffy. Halo will be much better than CoD, but it's not just your game that is affected. the speeds of hotspot may be fast enough, but it is the high latency that makes it crappy, especially for others in the game. i would ask others how their games are affected. once player with super high latency can chop the game up for all of the other players, and you may notice it less than they do.

my advice, if you are a "big" gamer, get DSL. it's definitely worth it. not only for the speeds, but for the peace of mind that you wont go over, or lose connection in the middle of a good game.

Upvote 0
With the data cap at 2gb per month, and being an avid gamer myself, I would definitely be hesitant to go this route. I guess you could always try it for a month and monitor your usage, because those overages will kick your ass.

And if you are really feeling saucy, you could always root and use the service for "free".

Upvote 0
With the data cap at 2gb per month, and being an avid gamer myself, I would definitely be hesitant to go this route. I guess you could always try it for a month and monitor your usage, because those overages will kick your ass.

And if you are really feeling saucy, you could always root and use the service for "free".

and hope verizon doesnt throw a perma-throttle on you after they notice 5GB a month are coming from game server IPs. :p
jk, i doubt anyone would even notice.

Upvote 0
dont let all this scare you off. honestly, online gaming doesnt use a ton of data. it probably, on average, uses about 1/3 - 1/2 the data of streaming music. depending on the game, you'll only use ~25MB/hr.

that is 80 hours of gaming a month. i would say if you're gaming more than 80 hours a month with data going thru your phone, it would probably be worth it for you to get your own separate wired data connection.

Upvote 0
dont let all this scare you off. honestly, online gaming doesnt use a ton of data. it probably, on average, uses about 1/3 - 1/2 the data of streaming music. depending on the game, you'll only use ~25MB/hr.

that is 80 hours of gaming a month. i would say if you're gaming more than 80 hours a month with data going thru your phone, it would probably be worth it for you to get your own separate wired data connection.

The only gaming portion of it doesn't use a whole lot but voice chat kills it. Just don't talk and you should be able to stay under the 2GB cap unless you play 24/7.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones