Online gamer debating on getting 3g modbile hot spot.

Last Updated:

1. Poseidon126

Poseidon126 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Hey guys. Im a big online gamer when it comes to games such as call of duty and even world of warcraft. To be honest. My families internet ultimately sucks. So im wondering if this 3g mobile hotspot I discovered is a good choice for me to get so I can play my games online effectively. Money is no issue. I would just like some input on the effectiveness and speed of the mobile internet available for the x. Thank you in advance!

Advertisement
  2. bgish3

bgish3 Well-Known Member

For Warcraft and halo reach I know for a fact that it's perfect but cod matchmaking goes by ping so it takes forever to get a match then it lags bad but the other 2 are great

3. Poseidon126

Finally an answer =)

Yes, I noticed CoD is horrible, just got Black Ops and multiplayer is frustrating.

Now if I buy the 3g Mobile Hotspot so I can connect with these games, it says something along the lines of extra pay for certain things? Does this mean if I pay the 20$ a month or so plan for it, I still pay extra if I am online for WoW/Halo/CoD?

4. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

nope, it's just the $20/month flat fee. although, you only get 2GB of usage, with a $.05/MB overage. so, just monitor your usage.

yeah, wow doesnt require too high of speeds, but Games like Halo and CoD will be iffy. Halo will be much better than CoD, but it's not just your game that is affected. the speeds of hotspot may be fast enough, but it is the high latency that makes it crappy, especially for others in the game. i would ask others how their games are affected. once player with super high latency can chop the game up for all of the other players, and you may notice it less than they do.

my advice, if you are a "big" gamer, get DSL. it's definitely worth it. not only for the speeds, but for the peace of mind that you wont go over, or lose connection in the middle of a good game.

5. Poseidon126

It's my families connection, and they won't switch to anything else, so this is my option to get a better internet just for myself.

6. sund0wn

i c. that makes sense.

7. JubbaTheHutt

JubbaTheHutt Well-Known Member

With the data cap at 2gb per month, and being an avid gamer myself, I would definitely be hesitant to go this route. I guess you could always try it for a month and monitor your usage, because those overages will kick your ass.

And if you are really feeling saucy, you could always root and use the service for "free".

8. sund0wn

and hope verizon doesnt throw a perma-throttle on you after they notice 5GB a month are coming from game server IPs. :p
    jk, i doubt anyone would even notice.

9. wxman2003

wxman2003 Well-Known Member

Get a virgin mobile mifi. Unlimited data for $40 a month, and requires no contract.

10. eraursls1984

eraursls1984 Well-Known Member

Also offers no coverage, lol. Virgin mobile is the absolute worst carrier when it comes to coverage

11. sund0wn

you'd be better off paying a bicycle messenger $40 to hand deliver the 1's and 0's to the server.

12. rehpyc

rehpyc Well-Known Member

pay the $20/mo for the 2GB tether, use the non-root mobile hotspot for close to 2GB, then use the root method for the remaining time. just make sure to monitor your use. if you don't go over 5GB with your normal data plan, it's very unlikely Verizon will check your data usage.

13. sund0wn

dont let all this scare you off. honestly, online gaming doesnt use a ton of data. it probably, on average, uses about 1/3 - 1/2 the data of streaming music. depending on the game, you'll only use ~25MB/hr.

that is 80 hours of gaming a month. i would say if you're gaming more than 80 hours a month with data going thru your phone, it would probably be worth it for you to get your own separate wired data connection.

14. MCPO117

MCPO117 Well-Known Member

The only gaming portion of it doesn't use a whole lot but voice chat kills it. Just don't talk and you should be able to stay under the 2GB cap unless you play 24/7.

15. wxman2003

It uses the Sprint 3g network, and in most places, it works great.

16. wxman2003

The virgin mobile mifi uses the Sprint 3g network, and in most places, it works great.

17. chippy

chippy Well-Known Member

You will go over your cap REALLY fast.

18. JediZombie

JediZombie Well-Known Member

I would also like to use my phone for this purpose but mostly for Peggle. But i dont know about the data caps. I have "unlimited" data, but i just dont know. And I've used 1.6 gigs of data this month just browsing the web.

19. Prevlin

Prevlin Well-Known Member

I use easy tether lite and just hook my phone up via usb to my comp and do it that way works great for me. You dont need root either for that one. As long as you have good coverage where you are you will be able to game with it.

20. JediJesus

JediJesus Well-Known Member

Just think if you ever have to download a COD map pack thats half of your usage right there. I would get it and see how much data you use, you can always return it within 30 days.

21. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Well-Known Member

For shooters, the ping would result in some less than desirable gameplay. I mean, it'll be playable, but your ping will likely be around 150-200ms unless you have excellent signal. 150-200 is the same ping I got when I played on 56k.