• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Only 2 days on one charge, is it really that bad?

So my Dinc2's battery was dead after only two days. Well, not dead, but in the red zone and with a plug in phone warning.

I had 3g on for maybe 30min total in that entire time, wifi for about 1.5hr, talked for about 30min, sent 2 or 3 text messages and took about 8 pictures. I have brightness set on the lowest setting, screen off in 1 min. The phone is about 10 days old and I've already had to charge it 3 times.

Can the battery really be that bad?

Yeah, I remember my old Nokia brick that got a week of battery life, signal where there was no tower for miles, and it even sent text messages and held all my phone numbers in it!
I suppose you gotta trade a little battery life for all the power of these phones, but it is soooo worth it. You'll find little to no other smart phones out there with better battery life than the DInc2 as long as you're using it right.
On that note, if you want to squeeze out every last drop of battery, check out the battery saving thread stickied at the top of this forum. Lots of great ideas in there.

Upvote 0
I still fail to see the need for anything over 18 hours of battery life. How hard is it to plug it in when you go to sleep? To me, 18 hours and 100 hours of battery life are basically the same thing.

I agree. But to play devils advocate, if I use my phone HEAVILY I can require a charge halfway through the day. Ok, so maybe I'll still make it most of the way through the day unless I was in a very low signal area. But it would be nice to never, never need to charge during the day. But that is why a have car chargers, USB chargers, solar chargers, etc. not to mention extra batteries cheap too.

Upvote 0
I was expecting less battery life when compared to my old non-smartphone, just not this much of a drop off. And I hear what you are saying, what's so bad with having to charge it every night or every other night.

I never looked at any reviews or specs for this phone before I bought it, it was free and it's hard to argue with free. So I guess I came into the situation not knowing the full story. Has anybody ever looked at how this phone performs in the real world compared to HTC's battery life claims?

I enjoy hiking, camping, mountain and road biking so I was hoping this phone could double as a GPS device. It will, I just may have to temper my expectations about how long of a hike or ride it will be good for. I guess that's why companies also make dedicated GPS devices.

All in all I'm happy with the phone and that's what matters most.

Upvote 0
Has anybody ever looked at how this phone performs in the real world compared to HTC's battery life claims?

I never get a phone thinking I'm going to get what the Manufacturer claims you can get. They get their numbers from optimal lab created conditions. If I get 1/2 to 3/4 the amount of time a manufacturer claims I'm doing good. The biggest cause of battery drain is poor signal. You may see a significant drop in battery life depending on how remote your hiking trips are. Keep an eye on your signal strength while hiking.

Upvote 0
I never get a phone thinking I'm going to get what the Manufacturer claims you can get. They get their numbers from optimal lab created conditions. If I get 1/2 to 3/4 the amount of time a manufacturer claims I'm doing good. The biggest cause of battery drain is poor signal. You may see a significant drop in battery life depending on how remote your hiking trips are. Keep an eye on your signal strength while hiking.

I have used a GPS tracking app before with airplane mode on then turning GPS back on and tracked my movement to plot on a map later if that is something you want to do. Otherwise I think there must be a way to preload maps, isn't there?

Reactions: ericmtnbkr
Upvote 0
I think I read somewhere that Google maps can Cache maps locations now.

In maps- settings-labs-precache map area.

I have a battery powered charger that runs on 4 AA that I take along with me when I go camping, or am going to be away from a charger for a while. It has interchangeable tips, so works for all my hand held devices.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones