Only Boots into Recovery

Last Updated:

1. ouroboros

ouroboros Member This Topic's Starter

I was having some pretty serious problems with Bionix 1.7 (couldn't download from market, unusably bad GPS, etc), which I thought I had successfully flashed yesterday afternoon. I decided to use Clockwork Mod to restore a backup I made before I flashed Bionix. This hung up for quite a while (upwards of 20 minutes) so I figured something had gone wrong. I held the power button until the screen turned off, and that put me right into Android Recovery, where I get the options to reboot (puts me right back there), reinstall packages (puts me into Clockwork Mod, which I'll get to in a second) or delete user data / cache, which I haven't messed with.

If I go into Clockwork Mod, I can tell it to try to restore one of my previous backups again, but it hangs up indefinitely (upwards of several hours) at "Restoring data..." (with either immvbsd.lck or .pc_syncstream below that). I can also still see the Bionix .zip on my SD card, but when I tell Clockwork Mod to install that .zip it gets this far:

Formatting DATA:...
    Copying files...
    E:Failure at line 81:
    copy_dir PACKAGE:data DATA:
    Installation aborted.

Ideas?

Advertisement
  2. bootsie

bootsie Well-Known Member

The obvious question would be did you "disable-lagfix" before trying to do the flash? If you didnt then you have an annoying road ahead of you. I know because I travelled it! HAHA

If you didnt disable the lag fix first then you will need to use ODIN to restore to out of the box

Did You Flash Something Before Disabling Voodoo? 2 Fixes to Help You Out.
    So you forgot to disable the voodoo lagfix before you flashed a new rom and now you're getting an error, similar to the one posted below. Even Odin won't allow you to flash back to stock. Well, pay close attention and with some luck, you'll be good as rain...or something like that.

Fix 1:
    1. Download Eugenes 'Froyo that does not brick' file.
    2. Extract the files.
    3. Open Odin, plug in your phone, then put it into download mode.
    4. load the PIT file in appropriate area.
    5. load the .tar file in the PDA area.
    6. DO NOT check 're-partition'.
    7. Click start, let it finish. Your phone will load and reboot into stock recovery. It will error out again. DONT panic! This is what's supposed to happen.
    8. Now, pull your battery.
    9. Download the 'True stock 2.1 firmware for the vibrant'.
    10. Extract the files.
    11. Once again, open Odin, plug in your phone, put into download mode.
    12. Load the PIT file into the appropriate area and the .tar in the PDA area.
    13. THIS TIME you want to check the 're-partition' box.
    14. Now click start, let it finish, and this time your phone will load up just fine! BAM!

Fix 2: (use only if you know how to use adb commands)
    1. Place the 'disable-lagfix' file in your sdk>tools directory
    2. Get into clockwork recovery like you normally would
    3. Follow these adb commands to push the 'disable-lagfix' file to you sdcard>voodoo

adb push disable-lagfix /sdcard/voodoo

4. File should now be on your sdcard in your voodoo folder.
    5. Reboot phone and with luck, you should hear Linda the robot telling you your file system is being converted back to rfs.
    6. Because your system directory has already been wiped, you'll still get a black screen when you reboot, but your file system is back to rfs. Just pull the battery, and reflash whatever rom you want. Then reboot again.

ouroboros likes this.
  3. ouroboros

Well shucks. I didn't disable the lag fix. I knew you had to disable it to flash Bionix or what have you, but I didn't realize you had to disable to flash back to something else you had before. I'll try what you posted and report back.

4. ouroboros

So, I used ADB to push a disable-lagfix file to /sdcard/voodoo and rebooted. I heard Linda say that my file system converted back to RFS, and my phone went back to recovery. From here, I tried two things:

1. Attempted to flash back to a previous Nandroid backup. No matter what backup I pick (and I have several), they all complete successfully. However, when I choose to reboot my phone, it boots into recovery.

2. Attempted to install Bionix 1.7 though Clockwork. It appears to install successfully and gives me an "Installation complete." message, but puts me right back in recovery. Rebooting the phone from here puts me back into recovery again.

Since I'm on a mac right now, I'm really avoiding having to get on a Windows machine just to use ODIN, but I will if that's my only way out. Any alternatives?

5. bootsie

Try installed fresh not from your backup???

6. ouroboros

I've tried installing both Bionix 1.7 and Bionix 1.8 through ClockworkMod and neither let me into anything but recovery. I guess I'm just going to have to eat it and ODIN and hope to at least wipe shit off the phone enough to send it in for a replacement I suppose.

7. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

If you follow the steps posted by bootsie in post #2 you should not be having any problems. It's very unlikely you need another phone.

You must do exactly as stated in that post. Something isn't right but I have no way of telling you what without more detail.

Which "recovery" is it going back to? The blue type or the green type? Blue is stock, green is Clockwork.

Once you've installed a new ROM you should not be restoring your apps with a nandroid. That will only screw things up. You need to be using Titanium Backup and only restoring apps and their data, and for system settings only things like WiFi networks and Bluetooth pairings.

ouroboros likes this.
  8. ouroboros

It boots into stock recovery, but I can get to the clockworkmod recovery by clicking "reinstall packages." I followed the directions for the ADB method of fixing it and got the robot voice telling me that my partition had successfully been converted to RFS, but then it goes back to the stock recovery. From there, no matter what I do, it just goes back to stock recovery.

9. w_bovine

Okay...and truly I'm not trying to be an a** here, but did you go through the steps bootsie posted, in their entirety? It should put you back to completely stock, at which point you would need to re-root the install ROM Manager again, as well as Titanium if you have that. You would be starting over from that point of course.

If you do the back-to-stock routine, it will wipe out your internal SD card, so you have to have things backed up if you can access your SD cards.

10. ouroboros

ODIN worked. Thanks you guys. Back to the grind. :3

11. w_bovine

You'll get it. It sucks at first, but for all the trouble it's a great way to learn. It's what I had to do! :)

12. bootsie

I had to do Odin as well before and I am glad I learned how

Glad you got it working

13. ouroboros

No a**ness detected. :3 I had gone through the ADB steps, and I'm glad I did, because I've discovered ADB makes it super easy to do all sorts of stuff with the phone quickly and without the need for a PC. However, that didn't fix the problem, so I had to man up and find a PC to use to get ODIN going. I'll eventually just stick Windows on this machine, what with Portal 2 and Phantasy Star Online 2 coming out soon...but that's another discussion for another topic. Thanks again guys. :3

14. psz

psz Well-Known Member

Some odd history:

My Vibrant's Lock button never worked. Not from the day T-Mobile sent it to me for free. It would NEVER actually lock the screen. It'd power the phone on, power it off, turn the screen on, and IF I STAYED IN THE LOCK SCREEN, it'd turn the screen off.

I had to set the screen time out to 15 seconds just to make the phone useful. Never found an actual fix for it. Even the OTA didn't fix it.

Flashed Bionix Final and all of a sudden the lock button worked.

Well, fast forward a few flashes later (Fusion, Eugene's Hybrid, etc), and when attempting to go back to the OTA, I somehow soft-bricked the phone. I never even installed a lag fix.

Anyway, I used the method listed above (Eugene's 2.2 followed by a total Stock Rom restore).

I'm now back to the official OTA and.... My lock button works ^_^

So the moral of the story is: THE METHOD ABOVE WORKS. If you get only a black screen or only to recovery, TRY IT.

I now have a (finally) Fully Functional Vibrant ^_^

15. trutech74

trutech74 New Member

I am having a similar problem to this. I cant seem to get my phone into download mode. When I follow the steps I plug in usb and it just goes right into recovery. It does not show the charging symbol. I have also tried plugging in usb and holding the buttons and then putting the battery in. this still goes to stock recovery. I can choose reinstall packages and that goes into clockwork recovery. Just no luck on download mode to get odin to recognize it. I then tried the adb commands but it just tells me device not found. any tips to get my phone into download mode? is it possible?

16. trutech74

trutech74 New Member

Anyone at all able to help me?

17. bootsie

Did you install the samsung Drivers for your pc?

18. w_bovine

To use ADB, you must ensure that Debugging is enabled or ADB won't see the phone. Seetings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging.

As for not being able to get into download mode otherwise, you may have a hardware locked phone. Try this for a remedy:

[MOD] Fix for hardware locked phones / cant access recovery without adb. - xda-developers (use with caution I believe)

or if you're handy with a soldering iron:

[HOWTO] [REF] Get download mode without 3-button combo using homemade test jig - xda-developers