• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Only one notification sound

philios333

Lurker
Aug 7, 2015
I am trying to get my android phone to give a notification alert for every email it receives. I am using the latest version of the gmail app. I have tried with:
  • normal gmail account in gmail app
  • an imap account inside of gmail app
  • and also even with a hotmail account in the outlook app.

The problem is the same, that I only hear a sound on the first email I receive. Then I hear nothing for any future ones. I suspect it is a general android problem. I know they are coming through because when I open up my phone it says I have 10 emails in gmail, but I didn't hear 10 sounds. I believe it is something new in ICS which helps to stop your phone spamming noises. I have spent a lot of time trying to configure my account and setting up "labels". Even checking the checkbox which says "Notify on every email" does not notify me on every email. Is there a setting in android you can switch to make ALL notifications play sounds even if they are stacked notification from the same app?

Android version 5.0.1
(ok yes I meant Lollipop)
Kernel version 3.4.0-perf-g16e203d
Build number LRX22C

I just want to clarify that when I say "first email" I mean the first email since I last locked/checked my phone. If I check my phone on every alert, there doesn't seem to be any problem. I think it's to do with the fact that the waiting notifications are cleared when I view them. But, I want all new emails to make a noise even with my phone stays locked.

Perhaps I am imagining things and perhaps this was never possible on Android at any point.

Thanks

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Hmm. I think it's going to come down to the email application, but I'm not sure if there's any way around it. I know that I get sound/vibrate notification for every Hangouts message that I receive, so I don't think it's muting notifications at the system level.

I'm going to move your thread into the more general Android Applications subforum to see if anyone else has some ideas. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks codesplice. I tested hangouts and SMS is just about the only thing that will consistently give me sounds on EVERY message. Even facebook messenger has started to mute some messages. It seems to be random and sometimes receiving an SMS will unblock other noises that should have been played 10 minutes ago. Does anyone know anything I can try? Let me know if you want me to give some debugging information somehow.

Upvote 0
I have not been able to fix the issue with my IMAP email or my Outlook email. Only 1 alert plays. However, I have managed to get my gmail inbox working by going to "Manage Labels" and adding a rule for "Priority Inbox". Even though I have everything turned on for "Inbox" and "All emails", my priority inbox (whatever that is) was set to "Not synced" by default. I am now getting alerts again.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
Scratch that,

It totally did not work today when I received 12 emails over the course of 1 hour. One sound, then silent as a mouse for the rest of the hour. Contrary to what I wrote earlier, turning on syncing for "priority mails" has not fixed the issue. BUT there is good news. After painstaking tests (waiting for 2 minute greylistings to expire), I have concluded that sounds do not get played for emails from the same address containing the same subject which has already been received. So I just need to change my alerter to send emails with different subjects. Crazy but true. This could be from some general android message filtering process which was useful for SMS.

But with "Priority mode" there are more problems. I get no alerts from gmail at all when priority mode (AKA no interruptions) is turned on. I have this set to 11pm to 6am so I dont get woken up by other things. You would have thought that emails to your priority inbox were classed as "Priority" messages. They are not and there is no option to turn on email based interruptions. Isn't android written by the same company as GMail????

I even tried adding a starred user to my address book with the email address I am sending from and configuring messages from starred users as priority interruptions. No sounds.

The only way I can make a noise during this time is by adding gmail to the list of apps which can give alerts during priority interruptions only. However, this also gives me sounds for all emails now, so it's not really a great solution.

Next thing I tried was to setup a filter to catch emails from a specific address and send them to "Work" label and mark as important. I turned off notifications for my gmail IMAP account and any other gmail labels. On my phones gmail app, the "Work" label is the only one that gives notifications and all the checkboxes are checked. I do have other labels synced but not notifying. I then turned on gmail priority notifications (since I know all notifications are going to be priority). I also need to update my alert script to use a different subject each time. Bad points about this solution are that I dont get any notifications at all for my other labels or IMAP account even though they are "synced".

Is it just me or is anyone really annoyed with what Google is doing to GMail?

Does anyone know of a better email client which will simply give a sound when an email is received? Yes, it's that simple!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones