Only underground?

Last Updated:

1. oOMavrikOo

oOMavrikOo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wondering... If I root my Sprint htc Hero, would I be able to still use the Market like before, or does rooting make me something of a bootlegger and I have to only use third party apps. Also, does rooting eliminate the use of htc Sense altogether? I'm really on the fence about rooting. I hate the lag, but love the Sense UI. Can I still use it?

Advertisement
  2. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Rooting in itself, just gives you access to the inards of the phones operating system. That in turn lets you flash different roms, and remove some apps that Sprint put on there that you may not want. It does not eliminate you ability to use the market, or remove sense. :)

3. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

You can still use the market just like you did before.

Rooting, in and of itself, does not remove Sense as it just provides you access to "admin" controls of the phone. When you get the the point where you are ready to flash custom ROMs (i.e. customized software), you'll have the option to pick ROMs that include Sense or just include the standard Android OS.

So, yes, you'll still be able to use Sense. Keep in mind that rooting alone will not solve the lag issue and that it's the custom ROMs that help out more. :)

4. oOMavrikOo

oOMavrikOo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What happens if I don't do a back-up or anything like that? Will it just be like I did a hard reset?

5. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

You mean backing up your apps?

Yes, each time you flash a new ROM it'll be like you did a Hard Reset and you'll be starting from scratch. You get the hang of it pretty quickly and can set it all back up in 30 minutes or so.