• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Ooops - I screwed up - any ideas?

gamul1

Android Enthusiast
Apr 24, 2010
OK - I screwed something up on my phone due to my ignorance. Wish I could claim otherwise but I can't.

I have been very curious about what "rooting" is and what it does and with 2.2 on my phone with all these new bloated apps - I had heard that rooting could get rid of some of these apps. I went to the DINC rooting page on the forums and while there also saw the link that said it was a demo for how to remove bloatware:
Remove bloatware from HTC Droid Incredible 2.2 - Technology - Jonamerica.com

I thought - cool - let me remove some of these apps using this. I seemed to have missed the key part of this line on the page:
Follow these steps to safely remove bloat from your rooted Droid Incredible.
That would of course be the bolded "rooted". Apparently I was supposed to already root the phone prior to doing this.

Anyway - I followed the steps up to selecting Recovery and power. It then went to some weird warning / triangle / exclamation point page and froze. After a couple minutes or so I determined this was not going as planned and tried ot shut it back off - it ignored me. So I pulled the battery.

Upon restart - almost everything seems to work fine. The phone, all the apps, everything seems ot work as expected with no ill effects. Except one thing.

When I connect it to my PC - my PC no longer sees it and sees the drives. I do not get asked with the pop up if I want to charge only or have it be a hard drive. I manually switched the default when attached to the PC to be a hard drive, but the PC still does not see the phone. I used a file manager app to verify the drives are still there and intact with files. It just seems that whatever I did screwed up the ability for the PC and phone to talk.

Any ideas on how I can fix this quickly? I am hoping to not try a system rest (how do I do that anyway?) as I would like to avoid having to re-download all the apps again.

Thanks in advance for any help on my stupidity.

Glenn

Anyway - I followed the steps up to selecting Recovery and power. It then went to some weird warning / triangle / exclamation point page and froze. After a couple minutes or so I determined this was not going as planned and tried ot shut it back off - it ignored me. So I pulled the battery.
This is the stock recovery entry screen. Once at this screen it will do nothing until you press vol up + power. Then it will actually go into the recovery menu. I don't see how pulling the battery at this screen will cause any harm, since the phone was essentially sitting idle (i.e. not updating system files).
Upon restart - almost everything seems to work fine. The phone, all the apps, everything seems ot work as expected with no ill effects. Except one thing.

When I connect it to my PC - my PC no longer sees it and sees the drives. I do not get asked with the pop up if I want to charge only or have it be a hard drive. I manually switched the default when attached to the PC to be a hard drive, but the PC still does not see the phone. I used a file manager app to verify the drives are still there and intact with files. It just seems that whatever I did screwed up the ability for the PC and phone to talk.

Any ideas on how I can fix this quickly? I am hoping to not try a system rest (how do I do that anyway?) as I would like to avoid having to re-download all the apps again.

Thanks in advance for any help on my stupidity.

Glenn
Not sure about the phone not showing up in windows. Have you tried a reboot of the phone & PC and then attempting to connect again?

In any case, I've got my 2.2 rooted, and removed like 10 bloat apps (c-ya cityid) and it was fairly painless.

Upvote 0
some suggestions:

toggle the charge/hard drive setting? (settings - connect to pc)
unmount / remount sd card? (settings - sd card)
toggle usb debugging mode? (settings - applications - development - usb debugging)

Maybe it defaulted back to charge only. You may need to force the change to disk drive. Also, when your phone is connected to the PC, you can drag down the notification bar on the phone and change back/forth between charge only & disk drive.

Upvote 0
Maybe it defaulted back to charge only. You may need to force the change to disk drive. Also, when your phone is connected to the PC, you can drag down the notification bar on the phone and change back/forth between charge only & disk drive.

I went into the settings "coonect to PC" and manually set it to default to disk drive. It did not help.

Also - the option for connection type is not longer showing on my notification bar.

I can't reboot my pc now at work as I have too many windows open, but I will try that later. But the fact that the usb connection type is not available in my notification bar makes me think its something on the phone side.

Thanks!

Upvote 0
This might sound like a stupid suggestion, but it's happened to me a few times at work. Do you have any external drives/network drives occupying the drive letter that the Incredible wants to mount to? For instance mine mounts F and G (I believe). If I have a network drive mounted to one of those, the phone won't show up at all...

Good luck..

Upvote 0
I can't reboot my pc now at work as I have too many windows open, but I will try that later. But the fact that the usb connection type is not available in my notification bar makes me think its something on the phone side.

Worth trying if you get a chance. Also a battery pull on the phone might be worth a shot as well. Hate to use that old line but you never know being such an odd situation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones