Open Home or Weather Bug are the VILLIANS

Last Updated:

1. Nidisa

Nidisa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Haven't narrowed it down yet, but one of those 2 apps causes my phone to freeze/crash/reboot. How do I know? Because I returned the droid I bought on 11/6 today, because it was freezing/crashing/rebooting. So, I had a FRESH Droid....and it never crashed. I reinstalled Open Home and Weatherbug, and it starts rebooting. Uninstalled Open Home, and it still froze. Uninstalled Weatherbug, and it hasn't rebooted yet. I will reinstall Open Home to complete the analysis.

I have found WeatherBug several times in a long gps hunt for my location to pull current information. So, if it turns out that it IS WeatherBug alone that triggers the rebooting, the question then becomes...is it WeatherBug or GPS that is doing it?

Anyway, for those of you who are experiencing multiple reboots and have either of those programs running/installed, take a look at performance when you remove one or both.

Advertisement
  2. Venom51

Venom51 Active Member

Run for a day with only one installed. If there are no crashes you have perhaps narrowed it down. Run for a day with only the other. Again if no crashes all is good. Put both back on and you may find it's some interaction between them causing the crash.

3. freddyb

freddyb Active Member

I have had some problems with Weather Bug. I just received a notification of an app update for it though. Maybe it'll fix the problem.

4. JerseyCD7

JerseyCD7 New Member

I think the problem is open home. I've been reading about it slowing down and even crashing the phone. Thus why I've been hestitant in downloading it especially since it costs money. I've been running weatherbug with the large widget on my home page and haven't had a problem yet.

5. munkis

munkis Member

I run weatherbug with no problems

6. bills534

bills534 Well-Known Member

Weatherbug is garbage software on PC's I cant imagine it would be any better on Android. I'm the IT guy at a small company and users always end up installing that crap and then complain to me that their computer is running slow :rolleyes: So my non-expert opinion is to avoid weatherbug at all cost.

7. Wolfdroid

Wolfdroid Active Member

I use weatherbug on my PC & my Droid with no problems what at all. Also i've just installed the Weatherbug update on my Droid, and still no problems.

8. scheng12

scheng12 Well-Known Member

Weatherbug has been running perfectly so far so I think it's OpenHome. I haven't downloaded that because I hear there's major bugs and it drains the battery

9. jnngill

jnngill Well-Known Member

And I've been running Open home since Friday with out issues. Humm?

10. Nidisa

Update on my research....Had been running just open home for several hours, and had just hit "send" on a message, the phone rebooted.
    Removing open home and running the phone the rest of the night with neither. The search for the faulty app continues....

11. gbdesai

gbdesai New Member

I had both installed and with Open Home, though I loved it, did cause Force Quit dialogs regularly. After uninstall haven't had a single Force Quit of anything yet (2 days and counting now). I hope they fix Open Home to work with Android 2.0 and the higher screen res of the Droid soon...

12. WJ1023

WJ1023 Well-Known Member

I didnt have either of these installed and I had to return mine for the rebooting issue...???

13. jlinn75

jlinn75 Member

no issues with Weatherbug but not using open home so not sure

14. CatsTide

CatsTide Well-Known Member

i installed weatherbug on day one and have never had a reboot...haven't used open home...

15. jeepguy_1980

jeepguy_1980 Well-Known Member

Weatherbug was a poorly written program for the Storm last year. Perhaps they haven't learned their lesson yet.

16. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member

Just uninstalled OpenHome to see if that speeds up my Droid.... its lagging a bit now... (but it could be other apps too :()

17. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

Weatherbug worked for me only after running the app before running the widget. Othewise the widget would crash. After it worked the first time it has worked fine. Ida is tearing us up in NC with rain and the alerts are nice.

This is a serious pitfall for Verizon though. Someone must be thinking "I told you so" for opening up the floodgates for returns on an open platform that few are troubleshooting by disabling apps first.

More peeps are going to have to learn general tshoot or this open platform is going to crash and burn.

I don't remember ever having lockups/reboots with WM. The platform may suck now but the apps played nicely in their own sandbox.

18. Nidisa

Well.....Once you think you have a thing figured out, it all goes to hell.

I factory reset the bleeeeeeping phone last night, because without WeatherBug or Open Home, it kept rebooting.

AFTER the factory reset, it REBOOTED while I was setting up my default ringtone.

I gave myself a 10 minute cry moment (I think I've earned one)

I called Verizon tech support, and detailed the drama of my day with my Droid.

They had me pull the battery.

They had me try to make it freeze....no joy.

They told me to return the phone, but to a DIFFERENT Verizon store.

And they gave me a $50 credit to my account for my inconvenience.

I went to bed.

I woke up this morning, brushed my teeth, and nervously held my Droid. I tried to put the OS's very own power widget on the main screen, and the phone rebooted not once, but twice in succession.

I cried a little more, and will head back to a Verizon store today.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

19. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member

Can I have your WM phone? I got my Droid after using WM for the last 4.5 years and I can tell you that I've never had so many apps just plain WORK right out of the box as I've had on Android. Not to mention when an app works badly on android, you uninstall and done. Half the time when an app works bad in WM, you've buggared the OS and you'll eventually have to hard reset the @^#@*! in order to get it back to 100%

With that said, people DO need to learn the basics of troubleshooting (its not rocket science, and these days you need it just to get a toaster to work).... BUT you and I both know people will NOT be doing that :(. Thats one of the reason's for the iPhone's success was simplicity. BUT even the iPhone has apps that crash it.

@ Nidisa
    PHEW, glad no troubles there from my Droid, hope your new one does the trick for you.

20. e39e60

e39e60 Well-Known Member

You're right. But my WM phone may never re-activate cause of it's lack of GPS. I had planned on going back if needed but I read that VZW won't reactivate a non-GPS phone.

The uninstall is great on the Droid. I've seen just a few freaky apps and only one issue where I have to reboot. Some MP4 vids basically make the phone puke.

Those are vids I encoded a long time ago. Must start from scratch and get better quality.