Open Home?Support

Last Updated:

1. KU_Android

KU_Android Active Member This Topic's Starter

I was curious to see if any Moment users out there had any reviews of the $3.99 Open Home app. Does it lag at all?

Advertisement
  2. caspertodd

caspertodd Well-Known Member

I use Open Home and haven't had any lag issues at all. I like it much better than the stock Home app. It was well worth the money for me. I believe there is a free version that you can try.

3. N*TE

N*TE Well-Known Member

^^^^^^
    what he said, Open home + handcent = better phone (imho) but yes you can add more screens with open home and I have seen no lag issues...i'm also using sprints CL14 which seems to be much smoother than any of the customer kernals that i had installed...so far...again, i'm sure this will change

4. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I'm using 91Pandahome, which is free and works really well, allows me up to 11 screens (I have 5 right now), plus a couple of dock bars.

5. KU_Android

KU_Android Active Member This Topic's Starter

I have tried pandahome and was impressed with its functionality for a free app, however it still seemed to lag my phone and force close on occasion. I was hoping open home would have some glowing reviews

6. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

For my money I would go with gde instead of open home. I loved open home but I wish I could go back and wait a few weeks for gde to hit. Although for custom icons you still need bettercut. Or well I don't know about the newer gde themes but the "white hero" theme didn't have any.

7. agent0014

agent0014 Well-Known Member

DxTop!! DxTop!! It's really cool and it confuses the hell out of anyone who's not used to it (due to it's diamond shape desktop arrangement), which I always enjoy :)

8. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Well-Known Member

I've heard OpenHome bricking people's phones, along with force close, etc.

It's all YMMV since there may be apps that OpenHome may not like, etc etc.

9. randyrw

randyrw Member

Open Home has never bricked my phone, and I been using Open Home every since the Moment came out.
    Some of the things I like about it are 1. one swipe and you go back to your home page. 2. It shows the %battery left. 3. the application dock.

10. NOMster

NOMster Well-Known Member

i wish gde had a trial version. it has an app doc widget you can put wherever you want, a fade and cube scroll, that is way better than the cube on openhome. which is laggy and choppy. it also has customizable buttons at the bottom where other homes have and "app doc open". it has 2 buttons you can customize for dialer, browser, messaging, etc. and the center menu can either open the app doc or open phone settings and so on. also, the screens are continuous scrolling instead of end to end and the fling works great to get from one screen to like 4 away from where you are. definetely worth the money.

11. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

I actually had openhome brick my phone about a month ago. It may not be common but it is possible.

12. martonic

martonic Active Member

Okay - I installed gde.

Now, when I tap "Home" I get the question "Complete this action using" and either Home or GDE. There is also a checkbox for "use by default".

So my first concern is, if I select "gde" and "use by default" - can I ever go back to "Home"? :confused:

Note: there is a "Home" application under settings - manage applications but it cannot be selected from there. It DOES NOT exist in the list of applications I get from clicking the "up-arrow" application list thingy. :eek: So, I have to wonder how will I ever go back - "just in case"?

I found the answer here:

gde instructions

13. martonic

martonic Active Member

First impressions of gde are extremely positive. Easy to install, easy to work with, no problems reconfiguring it so far (several hours of moderate use). No lag in sight (CJ05 build). Good features. Seems excellent.

14. caspertodd

caspertodd Well-Known Member

That's for sure. I downloaded it and did not like it because I wasn't used to it at all. I ended up removing it because it just felt akward. I think if I would have stuck with it, it would end up being easy to use. I definitely like the fact that you can always get to the next screen with one swipe.

15. agent0014

I also really like the five icon dock you can get by rotating out the tab bar at the bottom... a dock that doesn't take up normal desktop space and you can get to from any desktop.

16. CriticalCritic

CriticalCritic Well-Known Member

I thought about going with dxtop but ended up giving openhome another shot because it had a theme that I really wanted. So now I have a problem that was discussed a few days after the Moment hit the market...

@Agent0014
    How did you fix the issue with the non-scrolling background?:rolleyes::p

17. njbianco

njbianco Well-Known Member

Yes if you would like to turn it off from being the default goto settings>applications>manage applications>go down to gde or any program you wanna turn off as default>press clear defaults

18. agent0014

Actually DxTop is the only homescreen app I've tried that I've never had that problem on... so far lol.

19. CriticalCritic

Wow. I would give it a shot, especially for the easily accessible 4 screens, but I have openhome paid for and it has a skin that I really wanted.

Anyways, I fixed the problem by temporarily switching back to my original home screen and changed the wallpaper from there, and then it carried over to the openhome screen:)

20. Mw182006

Mw182006 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to check out open home, I like the clean look of the skins and icons and the added functionality of having the toggle settings for Wifi/GPS/etc. without having to install additional apps. I have 10 days to try it out and get a refund right?

What other features do you guys like most about it?

21. CriticalCritic

10 days? I'm pretty sure it's the typical 24hrs, not 10 days.

22. Mw182006

Ahh ok, not sure where I got that...haven't bought any apps yet.

23. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I was tempted to get Open Home... I don't know why I didn't really. It seems to be good, but GDE home looked to be.... more for me. The application docks that you can just add on any home screen caught my fancy. I think that's what pushed me to buy it. To be honest, the cube rotation of the desktops is just a novelty. I use the fade or the stretch animations to get from screen to screen, it just looks a little more appealing rather than a slight zoom out and angle adjustment on the view of your home screens every time you want to change. That and the looping desktops is helpful. It doesn't matter to me anymore which one is my default home screen, they're all clear enough to see at least half of my BG without anything on it.

Could someone post on here some of the things Open Home brings to the table, so to speak, on the home replacement apps?

24. SITH

SITH Well-Known Member

I have open home and I love it...I do get lag a little and it does crash once in a while...all of which I am hoping will be fixed when I finally get the cl14 update and android 2.1.

What is GDE? A home app too? I am pretty new to the moment modding stuff, but I am loving it all the same.

25. Mw182006

There are a few contenders for home replacements right now, in no particular order:

GDE
    Pandahome
    dxtop
    openhome
    ahome
    home++ (not sure if this is for droid only)
    etc.

My main concern is lag and force closing, so I guess I'll start with the free one(s) and see how it goes. Paying a few bucks for a cleaner look and added functionality is totally worth it for me since I'll be holding on to this phone for at least a year and I think I'm sold on android for the foreseeable future.