Opening Apk files

Last Updated:

1. Van

Van Member This Topic's Starter

I downloaded the sweeterhome 2 APK file. When I click to open it says opening files not supported with this version. Am I missing something? Do you need to be rooted?

Advertisement
  2. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

do you have the lite version or something? i mean is another version installed?

3. Van

Van Member This Topic's Starter

This I'd the file I have downloaded
    sweeterhome2_beta_eclair-727.apk

4. radikal

radikal Well-Known Member

its probably something ELSE that you have installed.... do you have the unknown sources tab checked?

5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

What application are you using to open the file with? Where did you download the file too?

it sounds like whatever application you're using to find the file on the SDCard is telling you that the application itself does not support opening files, only looking at the directory structure....

6. shademar

shademar Well-Known Member

First make sure that 'unknown sources' is checked under settings-->applications...Also, are you using something like Astro file manager to install it? (it's free, and great for file management.)

7. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

@ Van, Just a few helpful tips. You're using the word "open", when you should be using the word "install". The title of this thread implies that you are trying to unzip the Sweeter Home .apk file in order to edit the files inside. Make sense?

To install an .apk file that has been downloaded from a website outside the Market, the first thing you must do (as the others have suggested) is to go to Settings > Applications > check "Unknown sources".

Also, go to the Market and install ASTRO File Manager. Once installed, use that app to navigate to the .apk file on your sdcard and tap on it. It should ask you if you want to install it. That should work. If it doesn't ... report back and we'll go from there.

8. ccousinsjr

ccousinsjr Well-Known Member

And once you find it in ASTRO, there will be a prompt to Browse File or Open App Manager. To install it as an aplication, follow Joe's instructions but if you were just wanting to open the .apk like you said in the title, click browse. All the "guts" will be there.

9. boogerdroid

boogerdroid Active Member

I downloaded the astro manager.. but honestly I don't know what you do with it or how it works? please explain . haha

10. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

It's like windows explorer. You use it to navigate through the files on your phone.

Look at the top line, right under the buttons, that will tell you where you are.