• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opening Gmail attachments in Google Docs

Gmail on a browser have had the ability to open attachments in Google Docs for some time now. I've just got my first android phone and can't figure out if this is possible from the gmail app, it seems crazy if it isn't. I only have the option to open them in the various phone doc apps.

Is there a way to do this, from the gmail app or even the default mail app?

The gmail app is an app so relies on other apps to open files.

If you view your gmail from your phone's browser then it would behave as it does on your computer's browser and open google docs on the browser.

But if you open your gmail from the gmail app, you'll need to install an app to open the google docs document on the phone.

Upvote 0
I don't know of any apps that will make it happen, but I just flashed the UltimateDroid ROM on my Droid, and it contains no apps for viewing MS Office files. With no such app installed, the Gmail app opened an attached Word document in Google Docs via the browser. It might be possible to get the desired behavior by removing the apps that are handling files locally, but if they're preinstalled you'll have to root to do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones