• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Opening Notification Panel from Status Bar

Fred S

Jul 6, 2010
Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to open the notification panel by long-pressing the status bar and dragging down, which I understand is how it should be done. Whenever I do this it either wants to remove the widget, or it brings up the "Add to Home" screen.

I can still get to the notifications panel by choosing Menu then Notifications from the home screen, but can't understand why I can't get it the normal way.

Anyone got a solution?

Don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't seem to open the notification panel by long-pressing the status bar and dragging down, which I understand is how it should be done. Whenever I do this it either wants to remove the widget, or it brings up the "Add to Home" screen.

I can still get to the notifications panel by choosing Menu then Notifications from the home screen, but can't understand why I can't get it the normal way.

Anyone got a solution?

I've also just discovered that this does work fine when the phone is in landscape mode, just not when it is upright.

Investigating further it seems that the very top of the screen (when upright) responds as if I'm touching just below it. For example, in landscape mode when using the keyboard I cannot use the "q", every time I tap it it comes up as a "w".

Anyone else have this?

Upvote 0
Have you tried calibraitng your screen from the settings menu?

I find it easier to drag the top bar down from the far top right, rather than left.
Left always seems to end up with the phone thinking I'm going to remove my clock widget.

Thanks for the response. Is this the G-Sensor calibration? Yes I've done that. What you describe with the phone thinking I'm removing the clock widget is exactly what I get, but I get it wherever I do it. Does the Q on your keyboard work when in landscape mode?

Upvote 0
Fred, sorry I can't really help you with either of the problems you've explained. But to let you know, my notifications can be opened with the quickest, softest and easiest of swipes from anywhere on the status bar ( I don't remember ever having a problem with the clock widget when doing this)

Also the Q key is not a problem for me in lanscape mode either.

Would this be one of those situations where it's worth trying a factory reset? Sorry not to be of much help.

Upvote 0
This is going to sound really stupid, but have you tried

- Place your finger on the htc logo above the screen
- Slide it slowly down towards the bottom of the phone

When I do that, as soon as I hit the "right" spot for the notifications bar it opens up...

Also - you've tried calibrating the screen (not the g-sensor)?

Settings -> Language and keyboard -> touch input -> text input -> calibration tool

Upvote 0
This is going to sound really stupid, but have you tried

- Place your finger on the htc logo above the screen
- Slide it slowly down towards the bottom of the phone

When I do that, as soon as I hit the "right" spot for the notifications bar it opens up...

Also - you've tried calibrating the screen (not the g-sensor)?

Settings -> Language and keyboard -> touch input -> text input -> calibration tool
Thought I'd already replied to this but my post is missing. Anyway, I had already taken the phone back and exchanged it, the new one is fine. So although I can't now try your suggestion of dragging from the htc logo I'm fairly sure that I had done, and certainly had tried this for the keyboard issue.

As far as the text calibration, as the new phone is working fine I haven't done that. Should I? What exactly does it do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones