1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

openvpn on Android? G1?

Last Updated:

1. thirstycat

thirstycat New Member This Topic's Starter

I've seen some tantalizing indications that folks have actually gotten an openvpn client up and running on the Android platform. See for example: http://g1.fnord.to/crypto/

I'm curious if such a thing is possible without root access and if anyone else has gotten it working. Specifically, on a "standard" (i.e., "rootless") Tmobile G1?

I'm pretty excited that we already have a very functional native ssh client... openvpn would just be icing on the (cup)cake :)

Advertisement
  2. chefcb

chefcb New Member

There is an app in the Market called OpenVPN GUI which is able to run openvpn connections if you have root access on your phone.
    some additional informations can be found at
    www.Blank-online.eu - Android

3. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

No, openvpn cannot be run without root access. The reason for this is that openvpn requires a kernel module (tun.ko) to be loaded in order to create the tunnel interface.

I currently use openvpn on my phone, and wouldn't be able to live without it. If this is something that is important to you, rooting is really not that difficult, gives you a bunch of features/options, and allows YOU to control YOUR phone (for better or worse). And it's reversible.

4. clayton

clayton Member

Hi Cyberbob25,

How did you root your phone and how did you install openvpn? I am a newbie.

Thanks,

Clayton

5. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

6. clayton

clayton Member

Cyberbob25,

Thank you very much! The installation instructions were straightforward and easy to follow.

You indicated that OpenVPN is included in the newer versions of the cyanogen mods. How do I get to OpenVPN? There is an option to add a VPN which lists the following VPNs - PPTP, L2TP, L2TP/IPSec PSK, and L2TP/IPSec CRT. But I don't see OpenVPN.

Thanks,

Clayton

7. clayton

clayton Member

Hi Cyberbob25,

Cancel my question above about OpenVPN. I discovered that it is a command line option by accessing it through the Xterm window and then typing openvpn at the command line.

Thank you again for directing me to Cyanogen's site!

Clayton

8. clayton

clayton Member

Hello,

There aren't any instructions on the Cyanogen Wiki site to figure out why I cannot create a directory or push files using adb onto the TMobile Mytouch 3G phone. There isn't any instructions on how to startup OpenVPN.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.

Clayton

9. clayton

clayton Member

I would prefer someone to walk me through this or provide step by step instructions on how to setup a client openvpn process on the Tmobile 3G Mytouch.

10. leadfarmer

leadfarmer New Member

The setup is the same on all devices as far as openvpn config files are concerned.
    The openvpn app installs the binary and openvpn settings lets you start it and edit config files, select certificates, etc.

You need to follow instructions for creating certificates, etc.
    You can get directions at openvpn.org and download openvpn for your computer.

The problem is finding a tun driver for your kernel if it does not have one in /system/lib/modules

I am running gingerbread on my incredible and the openvpn binary is there. What I am looking for is where to put the certificates, names and locations so they can be selected by the built in vpn utility.

11. lvdave

lvdave Member

AND that, my friends, is a real problem if you have a VM Samsung Intercept.. I've found several tun.ko packages that the posters *claim* works on a Samsung Froyo Intercept.. But alas, when trying to insmod any of these modules, dmesg says ARMv7, needs ARMv6. Most of the reason I bought this phone/service was to allow me to vpn into several networks I manage without looking for a starbucks/mcdees wifi.

LVDave