• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

OpenVPN with GAOSP beta3 i7500

Turds

Apr 26, 2011
UPDATED AND WORKING IN GINGERBREAD:

With the latest version of openvpn, the files I put into the /config/vpn folder on my PC are:
-ca.crt
-ca.key
-client1.crt
-client1.csr
-client1.key
-customname.ovpn

Unfortunately, these files are not the same as outlined in the Drakaz openvpn tutorial:
openVPN in gaosp (Page 1) - GAOSP - Help & Support - Drakaz's Android stuff

So I am unsure how to get my GAOSP galaxy connected. Anyone got it working?

145 views and nobody posted an answer. I figured out how to get openvpn working from that link I posted (UPDATED FOR gingerbread).

STEP1
I opened up terminal emulator or adb shell and inputed these commands (this part only if you want to use wireless SSH, I could not get SSH working in gingerbread):
su
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
busybox passwd
choose a password and enter it here

UPDATE: Installing SSHdroid from the marketplace works to allow you to SSH over wifi, the default cm7 password is "admin"
STEP1 and STEP2 can be skipped with this updated method.

STEP2
Then, exit terminal and enable SSH in your GAOSP settings.
SSH into the galaxy (SSH seems to be broken in Gingerbread)

STEP3
Using dropbox (adb push, or SCP transfer with winSCP would work also) I copied the openvpn certificate files and the .ovpn file to the phone (SCP would be easier if u have this working) and moved them into a folder I made:
mkdir /sdcard/openvpn
cd /sdcard/openvpn
chmod 755 *
Code:
mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
ln /system/bin/ifconfig /system/xbin/ifconfig 
ln /system/bin/route /system/xbin/route

STEP4
Then I downloaded openVPN Settings from the marketplace for free.
Run it and it will connect :)

STEP5
Now put the galaxy back into ro mode in case rebooting doesnt do it. . .
Code:
mount -o ro,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
mount -o ro,remount yaffs2 /system

Upvote 0
VPN is great if you have to use other people's wifi, since it is so easy to steal passwords with simple means like BlackSheep plugin for firefox or wireshark. 1 sniffed login could leave you vulnerable to complete identity theft (eg. someone getting a mortgage in your name). This can even happen on your own wifi if it isnt well encrypted with a strong WPA2 password. This can happen in hotels, or at a friend's house too.

Also, foreigners need it to use american services to watch tv or listen to pandora ;) A VPN hides your real IP so you can appear to be from wherever you want.

Surprised that you hardcore guys dont have it setup.

P.S. It seems pandora wont run on the i7500 :(
The software says that model of phone is not supported.
Have you guys found a way to change the device reported for one app (eg. tell Pandora that I have a different phone)? I dont want to change my device ID for everything else since that is surely going to lead to pain.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones