Opera launches Mini 5 browser for Android

Last Updated:

1. andy d

andy d Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You can now get Opera 5 from the Android Market.

Advertisement
  2. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

It wont display google buzz properly for me, otherwise I'd switch to it from dolphin. I like the way you can switch to another app and come back and it doesn't open the home page again. That really bugged me with dolphin.

3. ohmaynitseric

ohmaynitseric Well-Known Member

downloaded it couple hours ago and let me tell you, faster than dolphin, put it that way lol. There are comments on the app saying that people are not satisfied about pinch to zoom but imo, it doesn't need it. All you do is set the display settings and its done.

4. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

I'm not keen on it compared to Dolphin. A couple of sites I visited after setting it to use "Mobile mode" for display looked like a normal version of the sites, basically squashed to fit the screen rather than displaying an actual mobile version of the pages.

It also failed to switch from portrait to landscape more often than not on my Hero.

Granted, it's new and I've only had it for a few hours, so I'm probably being overly critical. It's just not for me.

5. Barretta

Barretta Well-Known Member

It IS really fast... indeed. The feature that displays lower image quality is doing an amazing job. Bu the biggest drawback is not having multitouch... and another annoying thing is that you cant scroll straight down... it catches the sideway moves of your finger.

6. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I think getting a mobile version of a website depends on the website redirecting you automatically rather than the browser's involvment. But yeah, putting that setting on makes things pretty ugly.

7. Jaffa

Jaffa Well-Known Member

Its quick, but the zoom function is a serious issue for me, or lack there of!

8. kaine

kaine Well-Known Member

I love it. Smooth animations, easy to use, superquick loading. Winner for me.

9. choccy

choccy Well-Known Member

Why can't they let you import your Android bookmarks into Opera, very frustrating.

10. jim_h

jim_h Well-Known Member

That's true.

The thing is, I don't understand why they can't have the mobile setting "automatic" as an option instead. They could have the browser set so that it interrogates the site to determine whether it's a mobile or standard version and switch the display on the fly. As it stands, it's too much of a pain to keep manually setting this for sites.

Myabe when Opera matures a little on Android I'll go back to it.

11. alinver

alinver Well-Known Member

I've been using this all day on mobile internet whilst walking around Edinburgh, seems a lot faster than the stock app, one thing I couldn't work out was linking it to Live Bookmarks. Does anybody know if it's possible?

Cheers Al

12. choccy

choccy Well-Known Member

Yes Live bookmarks for Opera is really needed! Anyone know?