• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opera Mini 5 beta for Android phones

G

glorify

If this was mentioned elsewhere, please delete. Works really well. Finally, I can get back to the best mobile browser out there.

android.jpg
Opera Mini 5 beta for Android is finally here! Featuring all your favorite Opera features such as Speed Dial, tabbed browsing, compression, speed and a smooth design.
We know many of you have been waiting a long time to get Opera Mini for Android, so we're very excited to hear what you think of it!

1. Go to http://m.opera.com/next.
  2. Click "Download Opera Mini 5 for Android".
  3. Follow the instructions and you're done!
Or just search for "Opera" on Android Market.
yes.gif

I agree. I love this browser. Yes, some people are complaining that the pictures aren't good quality, but thats the idea behind it. It compresses them to load faster, so the pictures don't look as good. But its mobile browsing, so would you rather have a decent looking picture and have the browser load fast, or a SLOW loading browser with perfect pictures? I'll take this fast browser any day.

I also think that the tap-to-zoom works great.

+1 for Opera Mini!

Upvote 0
I downloaded and played around with it a little bit this morning. Not a fan of its rendering of pages, for example loading up google did not provide me with the options at the top of the page for Web Images Local News more. Seems that it does not load up any google mobile pages - the news page of google was all jacked up as well. I also had to go digging to sign into google.

While it did load pages up fast in its current version not going to use it. I will keep it installed to keep up with updates to see if and when these problems are corrected.

Upvote 0
Could you tell me how to use this? does it only work with the physical keyboard? i cant find how to search the web. I can enter what i want on the touch screen but i don't know how to make it go from there.
I agree. I love this browser. Yes, some people are complaining that the pictures aren't good quality, but thats the idea behind it. It compresses them to load faster, so the pictures don't look as good. But its mobile browsing, so would you rather have a decent looking picture and have the browser load fast, or a SLOW loading browser with perfect pictures? I'll take this fast browser any day.

I also think that the tap-to-zoom works great.

+1 for Opera Mini!

Upvote 0
i wanted to rock this browser cause i had it on my BB but i read that you cant set it as the default browser? and i dont like that i cant set up my bookmarks on the mainscreen

True, you can't use bookmarks on the desktop, but it's so freaking fast, and it has a cool start page where you can put 9 frequently used bookmarks, AND, it has real bookmarks with nested folders (that sync to the PC version of Opera)...to me, that more than makes up for it.

jd

Upvote 0
It loads pages fast but does anybody else have a problem with scrolling on it with the Hero? It seems like if I want to scroll straight down, it'll kind of go off the the left/right a little... not a deal breaker but its getting annoying.

Yes I have experienced the same thing. It isn't necessarily a deal breaker, because it is SO FAST! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones