• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Opera Mini Browser on the moment?

Im liking it alot. especially that it caches the previous pages so when you go back a page it loads instantly instead of reloading the page like the default browser. Tabs are nice but not a huge difference maker. It loads extremely fast however I dont really like the zoom feature. You can only zoom in once and you have to tap to zoom out.

Upvote 0
well its a millions times better then opera 4.2 on the moment for sure. it actually runs properly. lol. anyways. well its fast. some glitches with signing into some websites i visit. some bugs and slowdown with bookmarks. i know one of the things i really like about opera mini is the opera link feature. i use opera 10 desktop and i have i have a ton of bookmarks but the phone lags serverly when i scroll down the list of bookmarks rapidly. i was also disappointed that there wasn't a builtin search bookmark feature like how they have it in opera 10 desktop. it really helps in finding bookmarks. where is the zoom? how can i set the zoom manually like how the android stock browser does it. the one tap zoom is nice and all but i need a more precise zoom with view certain images. i read online manga on my phone and this is won't cut it. also a feature that would lock the zoom to whatever you like would be a nice option too.

oh yea i notice there's a bit of a delay when scrolling down a page with a large image. the gray blocks disappear quickly though, not a huge problem for me but annoying nonetheless. it looks like the decompression of the image is different from previous versions. its almost like how skyfire does there's. which i deeply hated when i tried it on my wm6.1 phone.

i know its still in beta but if they can fix and add those options i wanted then i'm sold completely. for now i'm going to stick with stock android browser.

Upvote 0
I'm also wondering... where is the option to get rid of the bar at the bottom? And why doesn't my menu button bring up the menu? I know how to bring up the menu... but why doesn't the "menu" button work!?

The bar at the bottom (at least on mine) disappears when you scroll around a website. and also when I select menu it brings it back up (Along with the top bar). I also have it set to fullscreen mode so maybe that's why.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
I noticed it doesn't render the iPhone site options...deal breaker for me as a few nice portal sites did a great 'iphone' layout as an option. Weather Underground for iPhone as an example

To add to the above quote: I was kind of excited and downloaded the beta immediately. However, I primarily use my browser for Google Reader, Google searches, gmail, sometimes (that shows pretty label), Google news.. etc. It seems we're locked into the crappy mobile version of these sites when using opera. The quicker loading is not worth it to me.. unless anyone has any recommendations? It reminds me of my WinMo 6.1 days {shudder} of using opera and trying to access the iphone versions of sites...

Upvote 0
To add to the above quote: I was kind of excited and downloaded the beta immediately. However, I primarily use my browser for Google Reader, Google searches, gmail, sometimes (that shows pretty label), Google news.. etc. It seems we're locked into the crappy mobile version of these sites when using opera. The quicker loading is not worth it to me.. unless anyone has any recommendations? It reminds me of my WinMo 6.1 days {shudder} of using opera and trying to access the iphone versions of sites...

well the sites is for iphone isn't it. i wouldn't expect it to work for every browser. opera mini on wm 6.1 was a heaven sent. remember the pos ie explorer. i'm going to use both the stock browser an opera mini. best of both worlds. best thing to do is to report those bugs to opera so they can fix them for the final release.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones