Opera Mini not working

Last Updated:

1. crish

crish Active Member This Topic's Starter

Installed Opera via the market ap and i can load it up but the homescreen just sits there,if i press anything on the screen nothing happens at all?
    Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Chris

Advertisement
  2. apollomaker

apollomaker Well-Known Member

Hello Chris --- I got similar results after installing Opera 4.2.

If I am remembering this right, look at the lower right corner of the screen and there is part of a "pad" showing. Press on that and it does come to life --- to some extent. I could not get it to work very well at all. The control features were so small, I could hardly press them. I ended up taking it out.

Not a very positive report -- possibly I was not using it correctly.

Cheers --- Bob :)

3. Archon810

Archon810 Well-Known Member

Mine doesn't work either. Uninstalled. I saw others complaining as well.

4. toomuchgame441

toomuchgame441 Well-Known Member

Why do some of you perfer to use Opera as a browser, not knocking anyone but I think the stock browser is more than able in almost every department. I used Opera on my old Blackberry Curve 8330 for obvious reasons if you know anything about BB browsers, lol.

5. itsmoirob

itsmoirob Well-Known Member

The Opera Mini browser in extremely fast compared to the default browser.

The thing is, Opera Mini 4 isn't designed for touch phones and works very poorly on Android phones.

If you try Opera on another platform, ie on Nokia phones, it is very very fast.

Opera are currently working on Mini 5 (which you can download here http://www.opera.com/mini/next/) which will work with touch screens but there is no Android beta available yet. Apparently at a recent tech expo they showed off Mini 5 on Android.

You can get Opera Mini 5 to work on your Android phone but you have to install JAVE/J2ME Runner (from Market) on your phone first.
    Although Opera Mini 5 the application runs slower as it's on a virtual machine of sorts (ie it takes a second for menus to pop up when you press a button), you can still see how quickly it can render website.
    See here for more instructions
    Haavard - Run Opera Mini 5 on your Android phone

6. danmaskell

danmaskell Member

Opera's servers compress webpages (they say up to 90%) which results in them loading faster, but also reducing the amount of data. If you have a limited data plan this could be beneficial.

7. crish

Marvellous /\ Just what i wanted - thanks :)

8. Shouse

Shouse Well-Known Member

same issue here...is there another alternative?

9. crish

Even after updating JAVE/J2ME Runner?
    Mines working fine now, it also helps if you go into the Opera settings and change font size to large/extra large.

10. Amjath

Amjath New Member

Guys,,,here is the quick solution,,,,go to the opera icon on the right corner...then go to help...select Data usage...Reset it...then go back and select Settings...go to Advanced...do the Network test...and then at the same time u open another web page u want...say facebook...u will see it working....cheers...AMJATH