Opera Mini on Android? Stoked!

Last Updated:

1. mobil3gen

mobil3gen Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So so so excited about this! I was never really that satisfied with Dolphin, so I'm pumped! Who else plans on using this app? :D

Advertisement
  2. pwrmedia

pwrmedia Well-Known Member

Agreed, was a huge Opera fan when i was WinMo user! Just downloaded about 2 hours ago, and renders pages fairly well....kinda disappointed they didn't sneak any Flash support into the beta, but not a deal breaker! Also noticed that it uses less system mem that stock browser, which will be great when multitasking w/ minimal lag!

3. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

whats wrong with the stock android browser??? :confused:

good enough for me.

4. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

Loving the Opera Mini 5 version. The UI is a lot better than the older versions. Load time, when compared with the stock browser, is a lot faster. I also like the fact that such little internal memory is used.

Absolutely can't wait for Opera 10. It is going to be sick!!!

5. HadouGhost

HadouGhost Well-Known Member

i completely change my mind. operamini is teh awesome

6. shawheim_a

shawheim_a Well-Known Member

I'm using it now!

7. jwmacdon1231

jwmacdon1231 Well-Known Member

One thing I hope they change, though, is the ability to have static scrolling. Other than that it is great.

8. erniebernie

erniebernie Member

..and perhaps an option to zoom in even further. Small buttons and checkboxes can be a real pain to hit with with a finger :)

Other than that, it's very good. I use it mainly because of it's much faster than the rest.

9. jimdroid

jimdroid Well-Known Member

I hope they add the ability to share a link. I know you can copy the URL and then go to email and paste it in, but it's something I do all the time. Other than that, and the sometimes less-than-optimal page rendering, I love it.

10. Eaglesfan9106

Eaglesfan9106 Well-Known Member

the only thing that bugs The hell out of me is the scrolling its so inaccurate and you can't do one flick through the whole page but on a awsome note no more freaking lag when typing in this forum and this browser is fricken fastttttttt

11. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

man its nice. having a lil arrow on the screen and control it with the d pad on the droid phone

12. Mama Luigi

Mama Luigi Well-Known Member

I'm not a huge fan of the "mouse" pointer myself, and the behavior of text boxes is a little weird (you have to hit enter to start entering text and then enter again to stop), but it's very fast. A few more rendering quirks than the other browsers but so fast I have now put a shortcut to it on my main home screen.

I used Dolphin for a little while but quickly ditched it because of the bad interface. I couldn't figure out how to do even basic tasks. Steel was basically Dolphin with a slightly better interface but not as many features, but then I felt like why was I bothering to use a third-party browser at all?

13. BoulderAndroidFan

BoulderAndroidFan Well-Known Member

Used all the browsers and like Opera Mini 5. It's fast, though I notice the content is different than on other browsers b/c it goes through their servers. Google News items are different too with more of a European bent. Also, the browser doesn't seem to keep a cache so it doesn't hog memory like the stock browser. Too bad flash lite doesn't work on it.

14. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

While I like the speed of Opera, I've noticed one pretty glaring bug.

On some sites, in either portrait or landscape mode, the entire left side of the page is chopped off and you can't scroll to the right to see it.

And other than the speed aspect, I don't really see anything so much better with this browser than Infinity.

Bring on Fennic.

15. erniebernie

erniebernie Member

Did you turn off "Mobile view" in Settings? Also, a lot of sites auto-directs you to mobile pages, happens in all mobile browsers in my experience (haven't tried Infinity though).

Good speed is the #1 selling point in my view, other browsers are sooo slow. If Opera's servers cached the site you are visiting it's even faster.. :D

It's still in beta, so let's hope the rendering gets better :)

16. mkhopper

mkhopper Well-Known Member

Yes, I made sure to not be looking at the mobile versions of sites just to verify that was or wasn't the problem.
    This doesn't occur on all sites, just some that I've noticed so far.

Best Buy is one site in particular. I also saw it on the account login page of the Sirius satellite radio site, but when I look today, it works ok. So maybe the problem is intermittent?

17. erniebernie

erniebernie Member

This happends to me also, but I believe it's mainly a web page problem, and not the browser's fault. A lot of web sites redirects phone users to mobile version, and not all mobile sites links back to the "real" version.

I could be dead wrong of course :)

18. JackGFuller

JackGFuller Member

Trying to download Opera Mini 5 to my Android MID computer. AndroidPit lists this url for the Market:

market://search?q:pname:com.opera.mini.android

but my Android browser says this is an invalid url. Any ideas??

19. RDKamikaze

RDKamikaze Well-Known Member

Aaaaaaand way to resurrect an old thread!! But that's okay, your problem sounds legit :)

Could you explain it better? What hardware do you have, brand, model, etc.? Maybe wait a few days and try again? Let us know how it goes! :D

P.S. You might want to create a new thread so we don't end up hijacking this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-cAoBCU8E

20. JackGFuller

JackGFuller Member

Yes, good idea about a new thread -- this one was suggested by the web site when I began that process. Will move it to the "Tablet/MID" forum.