• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Opera Mini on Android? Stoked!

So so so excited about this! I was never really that satisfied with Dolphin, so I'm pumped! Who else plans on using this app? :D

Agreed, was a huge Opera fan when i was WinMo user! Just downloaded about 2 hours ago, and renders pages fairly well....kinda disappointed they didn't sneak any Flash support into the beta, but not a deal breaker! Also noticed that it uses less system mem that stock browser, which will be great when multitasking w/ minimal lag!

Upvote 0
I'm not a huge fan of the "mouse" pointer myself, and the behavior of text boxes is a little weird (you have to hit enter to start entering text and then enter again to stop), but it's very fast. A few more rendering quirks than the other browsers but so fast I have now put a shortcut to it on my main home screen.

I used Dolphin for a little while but quickly ditched it because of the bad interface. I couldn't figure out how to do even basic tasks. Steel was basically Dolphin with a slightly better interface but not as many features, but then I felt like why was I bothering to use a third-party browser at all?

Upvote 0
Used all the browsers and like Opera Mini 5. It's fast, though I notice the content is different than on other browsers b/c it goes through their servers. Google News items are different too with more of a European bent. Also, the browser doesn't seem to keep a cache so it doesn't hog memory like the stock browser. Too bad flash lite doesn't work on it.

Upvote 0
While I like the speed of Opera, I've noticed one pretty glaring bug.

On some sites, in either portrait or landscape mode, the entire left side of the page is chopped off and you can't scroll to the right to see it.

And other than the speed aspect, I don't really see anything so much better with this browser than Infinity.

Bring on Fennic.

Upvote 0
While I like the speed of Opera, I've noticed one pretty glaring bug.

On some sites, in either portrait or landscape mode, the entire left side of the page is chopped off and you can't scroll to the right to see it.

And other than the speed aspect, I don't really see anything so much better with this browser than Infinity.

Bring on Fennic.

Did you turn off "Mobile view" in Settings? Also, a lot of sites auto-directs you to mobile pages, happens in all mobile browsers in my experience (haven't tried Infinity though).

Good speed is the #1 selling point in my view, other browsers are sooo slow. If Opera's servers cached the site you are visiting it's even faster.. :D

It's still in beta, so let's hope the rendering gets better :)

Upvote 0
Did you turn off "Mobile view" in Settings? Also, a lot of sites auto-directs you to mobile pages, happens in all mobile browsers in my experience (haven't tried Infinity though).

Yes, I made sure to not be looking at the mobile versions of sites just to verify that was or wasn't the problem.
This doesn't occur on all sites, just some that I've noticed so far.

Best Buy is one site in particular. I also saw it on the account login page of the Sirius satellite radio site, but when I look today, it works ok. So maybe the problem is intermittent?

Upvote 0
Yes, I made sure to not be looking at the mobile versions of sites just to verify that was or wasn't the problem.
This doesn't occur on all sites, just some that I've noticed so far.

This happends to me also, but I believe it's mainly a web page problem, and not the browser's fault. A lot of web sites redirects phone users to mobile version, and not all mobile sites links back to the "real" version.

I could be dead wrong of course :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones