1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Opera Mobile 10.1 Beta Released

Last Updated:

1. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Looks like Opera Mobile 10.1 beta for Android is up on Opera's ftp servers.

ftp://ftp.opera.com/pub/opera/android/mobile/10.1/Opera_Mobile_10.1_beta.apk

Opera Mobile, unlike Opera Mini, processes the pages on your phone, not through a proxy.

Right off the bat, I don't see a way to open new tabs in the background, so that's a dealbreaker for me. If it's not, I'm pretty annoyed. I requested that in the WM mobile version like a year ago and many people agreed it would be a good feature.

Typing opera:config in the url bar does bring up the typical opera hidden settings screen, so maybe there's a way in there. If anyone does find a way, please post.

Looking forward to hearing some discussion about this. Opera has been a big player on many mobile platforms for a long time now.

Advertisement
  2. NexusKing

NexusKing Active Member

Loving it. Always been a fan of the desktop browser, it's WAY better than Chrome or Firefox. The mobile version rocks too.

It's still a beta, but first impressions are very good.

3. Krimian

Krimian Well-Known Member

Ive just installed it and been playing with it for a good 30 minutes, And its pretty nifty and much better than opera mini :D

4. NexusKing

NexusKing Active Member

I like Opera Mini, but I like Opera Mobile too. My wish would be that the mobile browser includes Mini, for those times when Mini works better, you are on a limited connection or costly bandwidth.

5. NexusKing

NexusKing Active Member

6. SprintFun

SprintFun VIP Member VIP Member

It does! In the options menu you can enable "Turbo" which is basically Opera Mini. Very cool.

7. SavoDi

SavoDi New Member

nice pic

SavoDi
    :)

Attached Files:

8. KoukiFC3S

KoukiFC3S Well-Known Member

It's super smooth! This has gpu acceleration right?

9. lexluthor

Actually, not quite. Here's a writeup I saw posted by MarkG on eurodroid.com comments.

===
    No, they are subtly different.
    Both use Opera

10. LOGIK

LOGIK Member

I like it!!!

Opera mini is dead now?

11. lutin

lutin Well-Known Member

No Opera mini is not dead. As explained above there are fundamental differences between the two browsers.

12. thomasanderson

thomasanderson Well-Known Member

Yea I think Ill have to stick with Opera mini due to the fact that its faster, and Opera doesnt have enough advantages over the stock Evo browser to justify losing 20mb of space(still a whopping 13mb after install to sd). Too bad Android phone makers give us the processing power to enjoy these apps but not the internal storage.

13. Bang Bang Boom

Bang Bang Boom Well-Known Member

anyone got another direct link as it wont work on My fone

14. lexluthor

15. Ponderous

Ponderous Member

Is there an OTA link?

16. lexluthor

Apparently no flash support. That's another big negative here.

17. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

There's so many things wrong with this browser that I honestly wonder how Opera could justify releasing it.

A. It is not faster than the stock browsers, especially after page load. Loading the full Engadget site is about average, but after loading, scrolling can take seconds to load new content. And when it does, images can often fail to load entirely, causing black areas. This is with Turbo off, I am not testing Turbo as it is awful. Firefox is even faster than this.
    B. JS benchmarks are decent, but unfortunately real-world speed is abysmal. A simple image movement animation isn't smooth at all, unlike the webkit compliment.
    C. You cannot easily select links while zoomed out. A single tap zooms in always, which breaks the UI standard of double-tapping for zoom.
    D. Orientation changes can take ages to load correctly.
    E. Page reflow is poor, often not taking into account zoom changes correctly, or orientation changes.
    F. No support for addons (unlike Firefox) and no support for Flash (unlike the webkit compliment of browsers).
    G. It forces many sites to load their OLD OLD WAP pages. Opera should differentiate this browser from Mini better.

Frankly, in the highly competitive free browser market on Android, this one falls flat on its face. Where oftentimes these would normally seem like nitpicks, they are actual deficiencies when I can simply open my standard browser and have a better experience.

18. YaBoiD

YaBoiD Well-Known Member

I read on Twitter that there currently is not any "Hardware Acceleration". Can anyone confirm?

19. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

i agree, as it is right now, Opera Mobile is not any better (as a whole) than other browser options. Even with Turbo turned on, it's not that much faster on my Epic 4G. Worse, there's no way to force 'desktop' view. (if anyone can figure out how to get a full view of the CNN site, let me know. i have tried every setting options.)

i'll wait until hardware acceleration is available.

20. Piercing Heavens

Piercing Heavens Well-Known Member

Been using Opera since my blackberry days. Opera mini was ok but it did not have good text wrapping but Opera Mobile does. This is a very fast and snappy browser check it out.

My preferred browser for forums due to the fact that if you press back it doesn't have to reload the page again. I love the fact that text loads first and you can scroll arounD the page while the page is still loading the images.

Opera Mobile beta in Android Market | Android Central

21. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

It's a nice browser, but couldn't access certain websites while on 3G, my default browser and Dolphin HD can access Telus' mobile site but Opera Mobile couldn't. I see it doesn't have flash support yet but it loads pages pretty damn fast, Opera mini was awesome on my Blackberry but Dolphin beats Opera mini to a pulp on Android.

22. tonyb81

tonyb81 Well-Known Member

I really hope that the beta currently is not using hardware acceleration. I'm using a droid 2, and the rendering of text when using pinch to zoom is too slow to use on a full time basis.

23. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Well-Known Member

All the browsers work like this... :confused:

24. badankles

badankles Well-Known Member

For fun I turned on turbo with images loading off. This forum loaded quite fast but the rendering does not line things up very well. Plus the scrolling after zoom needs to somehow lock into the column so scrolling doesn't drift.