Opera Mobile For Android Adding Pinch To Zoom, Hardware Acceleration

Last Updated:

1. phandroid

phandroid Admin News Bot Recognized Contributor This Topic's Starter

Apr 12, 2008
    Browser preferences are a very personal thing and many people tend to be pretty die-hard about their browser of choice. For Opera users with Android devices, this has been rather frustrating. The company announced the beta of their Opera Mini for Android browser back in March, and updated the app in July, but still lacked [...]

2. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

May 15, 2010
    I wonder if this will be the same deal as Opera Mini where the server does the processing or if they'll push that down to the device? On Windows Mobile, they had Opera Mini where the server does the processing and Opera Mobile where the device does it.

With the new, faster phones, I don't see the need for the server way much anymore, so hopefully this will be like Opera Mobile and give us another option to compete with Stock, Dolphin, xScope, etc.
  3. Isthmus

Isthmus Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2010
    nice to hear, but IMHO Opera for android devices needs a lot of work still. Missing Pinch and zoom was an issue, sure, but a much bigger issue, IMHO, was bad rendering. I had it installed for a while and eventually got rid of it as I was only using it when I needed to read something quickly. The bad rendering eventually made even that too much of a pain so I got rid of it. I still think Dolphin is the best browser currently available for android devices, though it's plethora of addons really can turn it into a bit of a porker.