• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Operating System Ubuntu, Xp or Vista

foo is standing over my shoulder here saying that Debian isn't maintained/updated nearly as much as Ubuntu stuff.

Oh yes, I forgot that aspect. That is because Debian is considered the most stable of the Linux OS's due to the heavy testing that goes on before releasing software into the wild (unless you opt for the "testing" less secure updates, which would make it more like Ubuntu).

Upvote 0
Oh yes, I forgot that aspect. That is because Debian is considered the most stable of the Linux OS's due to the heavy testing that goes on before releasing software into the wild (unless you opt for the "testing" less secure updates, which would make it more like Ubuntu).

Ahhh i understand thanks for helping

Upvote 0
This thread somes up why linux wont make it big anytime soon, an MCSE asking for help using it.

I have the same academic background and i also had the same issues with vista as you, but id rather cut my right arm off with a pair of rusty scissors than use linux again :D using a command prompt is just going backwards. XP is just a great operating system, but unfortunately a victim of its own success in many ways. I only hope windows 7 will be as good and also hope one there will be a linux version for the masses.

Upvote 0
This thread somes up why linux wont make it big anytime soon, an MCSE asking for help using it.

I have the same academic background and i also had the same issues with vista as you, but id rather cut my right arm off with a pair of rusty scissors than use linux again :D using a command prompt is just going backwards. XP is just a great operating system, but unfortunately a victim of its own success in many ways. I only hope windows 7 will be as good and also hope one there will be a linux version for the masses.

Yes, I know asking for help... but after two months of using it and dual booting I have decided that Ubuntu is the way for me hence the reason I now single boot Ubuntu... while yes it is a LONG way off from main stream it is in my humble opinion much better than Vista...and no one can deny it is MUCH more stable...... and I no longer need help just took a few weeks to learn the basics and from there you just can't compare... you really should try Ubuntu or some form of it; dual boot and see what you think.... anyone who is even remotely savvy can master it quickly and see the benifits.... I did and I have been a windows user/fan since my first 386 and back then if you can remember the alternitive to windows was GeoWorks.... probably dates me but it'll give you an idea of how long I have used windows and if I can be turned to Linux so can anyone!

Upvote 0
Yes, I know asking for help... but after two months of using it and dual booting I have decided that Ubuntu is the way for me hence the reason I now single boot Ubuntu... while yes it is a LONG way off from main stream it is in my humble opinion much better than Vista...and no one can deny it is MUCH more stable...... and I no longer need help just took a few weeks to learn the basics and from there you just can't compare... you really should try Ubuntu or some form of it; dual boot and see what you think.... anyone who is even remotely savvy can master it quickly and see the benifits.... I did and I have been a windows user/fan since my first 386 and back then if you can remember the alternitive to windows was GeoWorks.... probably dates me but it'll give you an idea of how long I have used windows and if I can be turned to Linux so can anyone!

I had to ask for help too mate :D

I did try ubuntu and a few others, but i was already happy with xp, i dual booted, i just wasnt in the mood for messing around learning something which i believe should of been made a lot more intuitive. It just angered me. I spend my days figuring things out all day and enjoy it, but for my desktop operating system i want something that just works, thats one area i have no time for complication, especially something as mudaine as driver installation, i had it all working within an hour or so, but didnt like the whole experience. I have nothing against linux, and when it can do something for me that xp cant, ill start using it again.

Im with you on vista though :D

Upvote 0
I grabbed it a few days ago, not tried it yet, i suppose we will never know until the polished final version is released. At this rate i could be stuck on xp for a millenia :D

Bring back windows 3.2 lol.

Honestly I believe that Microsoft is WAY of track these days... the average user wants it to look great and have better than apple graphics and interface but they want it to function as smoothly as xp well they missed! On 7 looks better but runs the same as vista if your lucky but yes it is the beta.... The problem I see is that they are forcing you to not only upgrade your pc(mistake in this economy since most can't afford to) but to have NO LESS than 2 gigs of ram just to run with out getting hung up or constant pauses among other things.... Just got tired of fighting with what I know,,, figured it was time to try something new and since the last dual boot I had wasn't really a dual boot it was a removable hard drive on a 386 like I said running geoworks and windows hell I remember the days of edlin in dos but just so sick of fighting to get what should work by it self to work and continue to work each time...... Just curious but what version of Ubuntu did you try?

Upvote 0
I missed the DOS days :D 3.1 was the first i used on a huge laptop. I have no idea what version of ubuntu is was, i tried it around 12-18 months ago i think.

Whats application support like in unbuntu, i use a new piece of software almost everyday, i really need good application support, thats another minus for vista, though 99% of the applications i used worked.

So far so good and when I have an issue there is ALWAYS an answer on the forums only complaint I really had was the emulator that allows the use of windows software (WINE) but there are a few versions/branches out and in conjunction it works well.... I wish I could say the same with Vista! all I can say is if you got 99% to work your are a better man than I... for me I would have to say 85% and that is including the launch in xp sp2 selection.... but what I choose isn't going to be the same as the next man so... all I can say is I chose Ubuntu 8.10 originally 8.04 in dual boot and as soon as I knew what to do I just couldn't look at windows the same way... Your call man give it another shot not like it's going to cost you anything Ubuntu and most of the software/apps are free so.... only thing I can suggest if you do try again is if you like a cleaner looking desktop enviroment than I would go with KUbuntu may be a better fit for you....then again you could always run all dirivitives of Ubuntu once you've installed Ubuntu just add them on and select them at the log in screen....just so you know though I haven't given up on windows 7 hope its better than the beta... wish I could say that about IE8 what a let down that software is....

Upvote 0
using a command prompt is just going backwards.

Actually I completely disagree with that statement. People are so use to the flashy graphical environment these days, they tend to shy away from the power of the command line. While a flash UI make look good, things can be done a lot quicker using the command line than with a mouse and a few taps on the keyboard. For example, you want to get a directory listing from a machine, or you want to get a ping response from all the alive machines on a particular subnet, I can do that in seconds on the command line. I would love to see how most people would accomplish that task using the UI without downloading extra software.

edit: Even though I spend 99% of my time using the UI, the command line still has its uses. Every piece of software is a tool to get the job done, the trick is knowing what tool is the best tool for the job at the time.

Upvote 0
The evoltion of desktops

Looking at that link, Microsoft always seems one or two steps behind everyone else.

I have to agree and nothing seems to have changed as of today either with windows 7... All I have to say about Microsoft is they WERE marketing geniuses... You give away the software with every new pre-assembled PC force people to become dependent on your software therefore forcing everyone into the never ending loop of buying the upgraded software... would have continued that way for many years had they not released vista and the economy taken a dump.... and even that may not be enough to drive people completely away even with linux and apple's shares of the market growing daily.... Wish I could market myself into the billions of dollars.......

Upvote 0
Actually I completely disagree with that statement. People are so use to the flashy graphical environment these days, they tend to shy away from the power of the command line. While a flash UI make look good, things can be done a lot quicker using the command line than with a mouse and a few taps on the keyboard. For example, you want to get a directory listing from a machine, or you want to get a ping response from all the alive machines on a particular subnet, I can do that in seconds on the command line. I would love to see how most people would accomplish that task using the UI without downloading extra software.

edit: Even though I spend 99% of my time using the UI, the command line still has its uses. Every piece of software is a tool to get the job done, the trick is knowing what tool is the best tool for the job at the time.

Yes but its hardly user friendly is it, you need to learn the commands, where with gui anyone can use it. I myself have to use a few commands sometimes and i agree they have there place.

Upvote 0
Hard for me to nail down and give you just one issue as to why I just don't like it.....It's been a progressive thing for me.... Honestly I was so excited when it came out I got my copy brought it home and went WOW it looks great almost MAC like with the graphics love the new search for programs etc.... you know had that "NEW CAR SMELL" but then the annoying security protocol with the pop up window asking permission every thirty seconds needed to deactivate that with in 5 minutes of my original install or I would have thrown the damn thing out the window...I tried running my staples NERO gone... wouldn't work right until 8.0 so that's kind of fixed, anti-virus waste of time still have conflicts here and there.... firewall that came with it what a joke... and the list goes on and on....If I listed everything that has annoyed me with Vista and continues to annoy me it would be 5 pages long....

I've used Vista for the last 2 years and built my pc to support it. Its really been flawless for me. With that said, I hear your frustrations. When Windows 7 came out I waited only a few days to reformat and install 7. But I'm happier with 7.

I've played with Ubuntu, and use SUSE at work on some of my servers. There's still a few things that I haven't figured out how to do in Linux that holds me to a MS platform. Good luck with the switch! Let's us know how you like it.

Upvote 0
I've been playing around with Linux Mint since version 8 was released last week. I'd been using just plain Ubuntu for a while on my laptop. I can say that for a new user coming from Windows, Mint would definitely make the transition easier. It's a little more user friendly in some aspects and has more of a Windows feel to it than plain Ubuntu.

I'm still iffy on it myself, but I'm going to give it a try for a while. I'd just gotten used to the standard Ubuntu desktop, so it's taking a bit of adjusting to where things are now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones