Opinions on draining the battery?

Last Updated:

1. jimdriver2

jimdriver2 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Just wanted to get a feel for what the consensus view in this area is, as i'm slightly torn.

On one hand i've read online (here I think, and elsewhere) that fully draining the battery regularly is bad for it and will damage its cells. (I'm not sure what regularly means, daily/weekly/monthly?) Hence i'm a little cautious to do it.

However I tend to get far better batter usage after draining, turning the phone off and doing a full overnight recharge. Little top-ups, like taking it from 60% (where it reached through a day of medium usage) to 100% seems to result in inferior performance.

A lot of people on here talk about overnight charging, which i've no problem doing. (In fact i'm used to it as my old Samsung Omnia required it) But 'how' do people do it? As in, do you regularly use 70-80% in a day and then leave it overnight? My current behaviour is to use it throughout the day in during (odd bit of browsing, txting, app usage etc) which can take 50-60%, then get home top-up for an hour or so, which gives me about 40% back, so I know i've got plenty in the evening when out.

Opinions appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. tuatha

tuatha Well-Known Member

You're most likely imagining any battery improvements related to charging practices.

A full discharge and charge can help if the battery circuit is misreporting the charge level (which is rare), but other than that, what charge level it's at when you plug it in will make little or no difference.

But be prepared for a couple dozen bullshit anecdotal tales of how you can improve your battery life tenfold by only plugging in your phone when it's at exactly 17% and unplugging it at exactly 98% etc...