Optical trackpad difficulties

Last Updated:

1. Fishyweb

Fishyweb Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Does anyone have problems using the optical trackpad to edit text? If I'm (for example) writing a SMS and then want to navigate back though the text to correct a typo, I find it very difficult to get the cursor to the required position. Sometimes it seems too sensitive and jumps more lines / positions than I want; and sometimes it seems not sensitive enough! Is it just me, or do others have problems using the trackpad?

Advertisement
  2. hocturnalsoul

hocturnalsoul Well-Known Member

Mine's pefectly fine. I tent to make a lot of typo's being a careless and fast typer and the optical lense is incredibly smooth and fluent and accurate for me.

3. subzuk

subzuk Member

I'm with Fishyweb here. The track-pad does seem quite hard sometimes to get to the right place and jumps around a bit. Perhaps there's a special technique?

4. weirdNumber

weirdNumber Well-Known Member

Yeah I find it difficult to use, its not a slick as the blackberry optical pads. The predictive text is so awesome though that it kind of makes up for it

5. Tye

Tye Well-Known Member

Yep I find the the trackpad quite difficult to use in all scenarios. Although I prefer the look of the trackpad, I much prefer the practicality of the roller ball.

6. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

can it be calibrated?

7. hocturnalsoul

I would say best way to use it is to place your finger on it and wait for a split second, let it register that your finger/thumb is there, then gently slide across. Works perfectly fine for me.

Vip8888 likes this.
  8. subzuk

subzuk Member

Hey hocturnalsoul, That seems to help. Cheers for the info.

9. nx1977

nx1977 Well-Known Member

I posted up a similar issue.

After the latest update, it prefers to move right rather than left/backwards in text boxes and messages.

10. D3TOX

D3TOX Member

I'm using the Legend but finding similar issue, seems temperamental when moving around bodies of text (even more so when in landscape orientation?) but OK when navigating menus. Strange. If this is the case though I assume it will be rectified by HTC at some point.

My technique advice is to use the fat middle bit of your thumb rather than the tip of it!

Seems to help me a bit anyway. I was certain before I got the Legend that I was gonna love the trackpad compared to the Hero's trackball (which was still good but optical just seemed so much better) but unless I can master it soon I'm not sure that's gonna be the case!

11. hocturnalsoul

I love the tracking ball! It just suprises me its taken this long to have the optical lense used instead of a tiny plastic ball. It does need getting used to though. Being one of HTC's first devices with this such technology, expect teething troubles people!

12. rasobey

rasobey Well-Known Member

Am I alone in wanting to disable the optical trackpad completely? I find it just gets in the way more than anything else, and I've only had to use it three times to edit an SMS.

13. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I like it, thinks it looks cooler than a trackball too!

14. psionguy

psionguy Well-Known Member

I can only move it left & right, can't seem to find out how to move it up or down, very frustrating!

15. dave_d

dave_d New Member

I find it fiddly, so tend to click on the screen where I want the cursor to move to and that gets it pretty close if not spot on. I then fumble with the trackpad a bit to get it in exactly the right place if needs be.

16. mrdo

mrdo Member

fumble describes my experiences with it too ... :)

17. mjpartyboy

mjpartyboy Well-Known Member

I have the same issue with the cursor jumping about, but have found I get better results when I use my thumb when the phone is held in my hand, instead of a finger. It's still not perfect though.

I use my phone in my left hand so have to reach across the optical trackpad with my thumb to press the back button and this sometimes triggers it, even though my finger isn't pressed against the surface of the trackpad.

Now I've had my Desire for a while, I almost wish I had gone for the Nexus One instead.

18. Antique

Antique New Member

I agree. For some reason it seems to be much much easier to navigate between home screens and icons than to move the cursor one step to the left/right in the text editor.

19. bigt

bigt Well-Known Member

Slide your finger/thumb up or down when it is over the pad

20. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

It does, but the trackball on the Hero makes much more sense from a useability perspective.

21. Ghibli

Ghibli Well-Known Member

I too find it rather inaccurate for precise cursor pinpointing, but it's definitely better than not having one at all, especially on a capacitive device.
    What would be good is an option to adjust its speed, like on the Nokia E72.

22. X-QlusioN

X-QlusioN Member

The "trick" with the trackpad is:
    the longer it takes for the pad to be completely clear (ergo how long you take from completely covering it to being completely off it) translates to how much the pointer moves...
    The slower you move (ergo more time until trackpad is clear), the more the pointer will moves
    The faster you move (ergo lesser time until trackpad is clear), the lesser the pointer moves

asp2010 and nx1977 like this.
  23. asp2010

asp2010 Active Member

i found out the same thing with my track pad. whenever i used to go back a single character, it jumped over 2 or 3 and when i wanted to go some more backwards, it only moved 1 space. but i seem to get it right this way.

24. Mushhushshu

Mushhushshu Well-Known Member

I find the trackpad ok but Ive set the IME Mod keyboard to move cursor forward/back with the volume buttons when editing text, I tend to use this to get to exactly where I want to be in a word.

25. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Hi, my solution is the SmartKeyboard Pro.
    It has 4 arrow keys in keyboard as option.:)

Harry