• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Optimize your Droid Eris battery life (READ THIS)

My battery is draining big time with 2.1 now. Your process above gives the culprit of my 100% awake time as the Android System. How do you remedy that? Or what does that signify?

One more thought to help you track this down: Go to Settings>About phone>Battery>Battery use and then click on the item "Android System" and I think the items on that page are listed in order of use. So the first few items might be doing the damage.

Upvote 0
I'm dying here! (hi--from a newbie)

I am pretty stupid when it comes to this thing. I've had it for about a month and it was fine then like last week the battery dies within a day...with NO USE. Hell one day I didn't even do anything, no internet or calls. So I went and checked to see what's using the battery and under the android system it says the first "included package" is com.htc.android.secretcontrolmodem.

what the heck is that

I've shut it off (reboot?) before but is there anything else? I am interested in if overcharging it screws it up since I charge it overnight.

But literally charged it last night, took it off the charger this am, it is now at 15% and all I've done is listened to my voicemail once and checked my mail (of which there wasn't any).

Upvote 0
Try going to Menu, Settings, Accounts & Sync, Google, un-check Sync Contacts and Sync Calendar. I did this and my battery is lasting 2-3 times longer now. Try it and see if that helps you.

I've had mine off the charger since 6:30 this morning and my battery is at 70% as of 3:00 this afternoon.

I've received emails, sent a text, screwed around on facebook and checked the weather a few times with WeatherBug (which is set to update every 30 minutes).

Upvote 0
I'm dying here! (hi--from a newbie)

I am pretty stupid when it comes to this thing. I've had it for about a month and it was fine then like last week the battery dies within a day...with NO USE. Hell one day I didn't even do anything, no internet or calls. So I went and checked to see what's using the battery and under the android system it says the first "included package" is com.htc.android.secretcontrolmodem.

what the heck is that

I've shut it off (reboot?) before but is there anything else? I am interested in if overcharging it screws it up since I charge it overnight.

But literally charged it last night, took it off the charger this am, it is now at 15% and all I've done is listened to my voicemail once and checked my mail (of which there wasn't any).

Something must be keeping your phone awake 100%. If reboot doesn't fix it, then I don't know what else to suggest. It sounds like you've already determined that "Android System" is the culprit, but that encompasses many things. Maybe try turning off background sync for a while and see if that helps? Otherwise I think your next step is a factory reset.

Upvote 0
hi I've been a lurker, but this OTA 2.1 is killing me. First off authentication didn't take on the phone. Couldn't make calls and got sms error 34. Called #8899 and fixed in two minutes. Cool. So on to my question. You talk about 100% battery time. I go to settings>about phone> battery i see up-time 21:26:01 awake-time 2:21:54 not a percentage it can be turned into a percentage though, It's not 100%. So, i'm going to assume i don't have this sms bug? Am i correct?

Upvote 0
hi I've been a lurker, but this OTA 2.1 is killing me. First off authentication didn't take on the phone. Couldn't make calls and got sms error 34. Called #8899 and fixed in two minutes. Cool. So on to my question. You talk about 100% battery time. I go to settings>about phone> battery i see up-time 21:26:01 awake-time 2:21:54 not a percentage it can be turned into a percentage though, It's not 100%. So, i'm going to assume i don't have this sms bug? Am i correct?

You are correct, your up time compared to your awake time is very good. 1.5 listed the actual percentage, but 2.1 does not.

Reactions: madpebs
Upvote 0

Seems like a normal %.... <10% awake. Personally mine is at about 65% but its not a messaging issue. I think Maps/ Latitude are the culprit.

Reactions: madpebs
Upvote 0
My Eris' battery is draining a lot faster all of a sudden on 2.1. It says cell standby is 63%, Phone Idle 20%, Android System 11%. Should the Standby and Phone Idle be that high?

I actually had another Eris that got the 2.1 update and the battery seemed to last a lot longer. This one is a certified pre-owned one that I had to get because my old one got into a bit of water :/

Upvote 0
like Chuntsman, my phone was PERFECT until i did the upgrade last night. had phone charging overnight (noticed in middle of night orange AND green notice lights were flashing). took phone off charger this morning and it still wasn't 100%. drove over and hour with it hooked to car charger. sitting at work it drained to 15% in about 2 hours without me doing ONE SINGLE thing.

i've been researching fixes all day and came across this forum. seems like there are 50 different reasons/solutions. i'll try some tonite when i can at least get my phone back on a charger (i shut it down a few hours ago when the battery icon went into the red, again after doing NOTHING)

i've honestly only downloaded about 8 apps since i got my phone a few months ago. no facebook, twitter or games to take up memory or junk it up. if anybody finds a successful fix/reason why the 2.1 update causes this please share. thanks.

Upvote 0
well after some reading i did that battery running "test" and it does appear i'm running at 100% which from what i've read almost sounds like i have a bug of some sort. i'm on phone with Verizon now, they say they have no record of any battery issues...hahahaha. i'm on hold now, go figure.

I almost think they are required to try and make you feel like you dont know what you are talking about. The problem is, when I call them, I know more than they do.

Reactions: Lanmonster
Upvote 0
I have noticed that at my school I have all 4 bars and my battery drains slower. At home, I only have 1-2 bars and my battery drains faster than at school.

This. If you are in a good signal zone (ie, at college I never get higher than -73 dBms) you will have much better battery life, I never went below 30 hours to a charge. But if you're in a terrible signal zone (ie, here at home I never get lower than -95 dBms and often higher than that) you'll get terrible battery life, I'm getting 12-20 hours if I'm lucky. That's why Cell Standby is so high in your battery usage statistics.

Upvote 0
well after some reading i did that battery running "test" and it does appear i'm running at 100% which from what i've read almost sounds like i have a bug of some sort. i'm on phone with Verizon now, they say they have no record of any battery issues...hahahaha. i'm on hold now, go figure.

So what was the answer? I just realized I was having this issue. 1.5, didn't have the 100% issue, now I do. Did the fix. Still draining. HELP!

Upvote 0

Along with this tip, the stock verizon visual voicemail app, if active it known to keep your phone "awake" there is no way to uninstall this app, just don't use it. Also the Youmail app will keep your phone "awake" as well.

They've actually fixed the YouMail bug that was keeping the phone awake. It works like a charm now and has been for a few months. I love it! :)

You should probably delete it from the original post as it's no longer an issue. ;)

Upvote 0
I found that my Youmail app was the holdup on my Eris that was keeping my device from sleeping. My up time is down to ONLY 36% from a constant 100%. Hoping Youmail developers are able to update this bug since I absolutely LOVE their free VM service!

EDIT: Had to delete the app for any success in the phone actually sleeping, and the battery lasts all day for me now too!

In case you haven't heard, YouMail fixed the issue a while ago. It lets the phone sleep now, like it should. :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones