Optimus losing data connectionSupport

Last Updated:

1. KansasVirgin

KansasVirgin New Member

I've had the phone for only a few days. Overall, I like it a lot.

However, several times now I have lost the data connection. I can still make/receive phone calls, but no web, no email, etc.

I have to go into airplane mode, then come out of airplane mode in order to restore data. (Or I need to turn off/on the phone.)

Anyone else experience this? Is there something wrong with my phone, or is this normal?

Advertisement
  2. satwatcher

satwatcher New Member

I just bought the phone a few days ago and have the exact same problem. When I call customer service and get someone on the other side of the globe they tell me to enter ##[codenum]# on the phone which resets it. However, why is this necessary in the first place? I sent an e-mail into customer support although, based on what I've seen of Virgin Mobile customer service I don't have much hope that it will accomplish much.

If it continues to happen I will be forced to take the phone back and get my money back and cancel the Virgin service.

3. phewd

phewd Member

I've had the Optimus V since launch and hadn't noticed any problems until within the past week or so. I, also, have to reboot the phone or bounce it into plane mode to restore connectivity. I've tried uninstalling a few of the apps I've recently installed but to no avail.
  4. TVCCS

TVCCS Well-Known Member

5. phewd

phewd Member

Yeah - I've read this and does not describe/fix my problem. I've had the phone for at least 3 weeks and had no issues with data until just recently. I'm assuming right now that it may be a network issue (and my phone doesn't pick the network back up for some reason unless I "reboot" the data connection). We'll see...
  6. jacob9

jacob9 New Member

I went through 3 of the Virgin Samsung Intercept phones, could never get any data connection after opening 2 service tickets for each phone with Virgin. The longest they could get the service to work on one phone was a week. I went back to my Wildcard and no problems. Figured I'd try the LG Optimus V, which is a great phone, but I haven't had data service since day 1 with this phone. It's not the phones, it's Virgin, they can't seem to set up the data connection. I'll be returning this phone and going back to my dumbphone with them, I"ll have to change plans again, which means another top up card wasted. If I have to do that, I'll go with another provider. There's no reason why I should have to pay for their inability to set up their network. If they could just get this problem ironed out, I would stay with them, but why pay for a service I can't use?
  7. kshaw5

kshaw5 New Member

My Optimus V also consistantly loses it's 3g connectivity at my office (which i know has poor cell coverage) but never loses it at my home (which has good 3g speed, tested using a speedtest app)

so i'm going to try using the wifi at work, but also setting the wifi sleep policy to never. you have to hit the menu button in the wifi settings to get to advanced settings. Otherwise the wifi will turn off and switch back to 3g and get all screwed up whenever the screen turns off.

i'll post again in a few days to report the progress.
  8. harvickchick

harvickchick Well-Known Member

I think there's something up with virgin's network, cause the intercepts seem to be doing it too. I'll try the airplane mode thing instead of restarting my phone 3-4 times a day...hope that works!
  9. mcrow

mcrow Active Member

Virgin uses Sprint's network, so if sprint is having issues you will as well.

I've also heard that sprint users have priority for network connections, but not sure if that's true or not.

It's just one of those things where you can't expect $80 reliablity for $25-$40.:D
  10. K4KAI

K4KAI Well-Known Member

Bull SH*T !!!

VM advertises Unlimited Data. They offer no disclaimers that their "Unlimited Data" will randomly be unavailable. If they don't deliver on what they advertise....it is their short coming. As consumers, WE have a right to receive what WE have paid for.
  11. kshaw5

kshaw5 New Member

Keeping wifi on seems to help... obviously i'm using office wifi during most of the day but it is automatically switching to 3g without a hitch as i leave (for a week straight now) - now there's still dead spots out there, where i only have cell service but not 3g, and that's something i accept for being on a budget carrier.
  12. phewd

phewd Member

I think VM was throttling their network usage. Ever since they jacked the price up on the Optimus V, I've had no troubles with connectivity.
  13. 98champs

98champs New Member

Read all the post about data loss and turning on airplane mode and waiting twelve seconds and rebooting. The best way to fix this problem is simple just push th:mad:e activate button like when setting up for the first time wait for the process to finish then it will give error code call company give them code 2 minutes problem solved
  14. dthgtr

dthgtr Member

Unlimited data does not mean unlimited connectivity. It is not a satellite phone.
    Unlimited data means the same thing as all you can eat, for a set price.

At work we have Nextel which has far greater coverage and I lose signal in the exact locations my Optimus (and previously my VM Snapper) does.

LOL
  15. KryptoNyte

KryptoNyte Well-Known Member

This is a very old, resurrected thread. I believe a lot of the data connectivity issues mentioned here were solved when we got past that Feb/Mar period where they had a big sale on the phone, and the VM network couldn't keep up.

I think I've had a 3 or 4 hour window since where the phone wasn't acting as I had come to expect.