• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Optimus M recovery

Upvote 0
This does not work. Just says phone cannot be updated. I also RTFM and could not find out how to do this under settings. My phone drops every call after trying to perform the z4 update on v2.2.1 (i didn't check before so my fault that I did not realise it only works for 2.2).

Please advise: TIA
the z4root will not work on 2.2.1 if your phone was originally 2.2 you can downgrade it though recently I have heard the files needed to downgrade may be no longer available you will have to check that.
If you just want to root your phone you can root 2.2.1 but its not a simple one click button. you will need to follow some instructions.
running z4root on 2.2.1 will not drop calls, it just will not work. for me it was just stuck at the screen for rooting. I had to power off the phone.

Upvote 0
my phone worked fine until the attempted z4. now every call i make resets the phone a minute into the call. I would like to have the Chicken rom on there but am noobish and it looks like many steps (b/c i would have to root first via the Data WORKING thread correct? These steps scare me, i don't know if i can follow them.

Thanks for you suggestions though, i DO want a custom wrong, but right now I would be happy with a working phone!

Upvote 0
my phone worked fine until the attempted z4. now every call i make resets the phone a minute into the call. I would like to have the Chicken rom on there but am noobish and it looks like many steps (b/c i would have to root first via the Data WORKING thread correct? These steps scare me, i don't know if i can follow them.

Thanks for you suggestions though, i DO want a custom wrong, but right now I would be happy with a working phone!
You will not need to root first, though you will need to put in the custom recovery, it is not that difficult just take your time and pay attention to detail.
use this post to get it working http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html

And if you dont know how to get into adb shell that is fairly simple as well you can find that info http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/279318-root-2-2-1-get-data-working.html

But I will make it simple and quote the pertinent section

download adb. Go to Android SDK | Android Developers and download the file that ends on .zip. Extract it to your C:\ drive. Go to C:\android-sdk-windows and open sdkmanager.exe. After is open a windows will pop out click reject on all files except for:
Android SDK Tools and Android SDK Platform tools. Make sure USB debugging is activated (On your phone go to settings> applications>development and check USB debugging) Then open up Cmd and type the following: cd C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools.
you will then type adb shell

Upvote 0
Do these steps and your problem should go away:

Make sure you have a class 4 SD Card. I didn't and had to buy a new one a while back. I would recommend an 8GB card.

Format your SD card, back it up first if you want the info on it but keep the card clean from the format and put only the rom that you want to flash on the root and do not put this card in your phone until you are ready to boot.

Root your phone: http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-all-things-root/279318-root-2-2-1-get-data-working.html or use z4 root for 2.2

Install the custom recovery appropriate to your phone: http://androidforums.com/optimus-m-...nally-custom-recovery-2-2-1-stock-phones.html or Custom Recovery MS690 Optimus M If you are on 2.2.1, use that method.

Then, you want turn off your phone after you install this custom recovery. Press and hold volume down, home, and power for 5 seconds and then when the menu pops up, wipe everything, go to flash zip menu, select the rom -- it should be the only thing that shows up -- flash it and then back out and reboot system.

The rom you want to use is sweet, btw. I was using it earlier. Very smooth, very clean. I like the effect on market with the fading notification bar too. Very nice rom and they are working to make it better if you keep up in the thread. You might stop by and give them a thanx when you download the Chicken rom.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones